Anodized niobium durability
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Anodized niobium durability
Posted on Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:47 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I am considering buying anodized niobium jump rings for the first time. I wear bracelets pretty much constantly, and have found that within a few weeks, the colour layer has worn off anodized titanium rings in a Byzantine chain. All my anodized aluminium projects continue to be just as colourful as when they were made, so my question is which outcome can I expect for anodized niobium?

Submissions: 7

Posted on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:14 pm

According to TRL's Material Data.

Shining Niobium:
Quote:
You can tumble to increase shine but it won't get super shiny like AB or SS. You can tumble the anodized and you won't destroy the color layer - the color may change.

Shining Titanium:
Quote:
You can tumble TI to increase shine but it won't get mirror finish. Anodized layer is not as durable as niobium - test before tumbling - you might affect color.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:58 am

Anodized niobium holds up very well, in my experience. It doesn't need to be tumbled, just swished around with some soap and warm water to wash off any dirt or body oils it collects. You should try it for yourself, just like you did the anodized titanium. I'd love to hear your results.

I have tumbled ano nio for a very short time. It does dull the color a bit. Constant tumbling would make the anodized layer thinner and thinner, changing the color until it went back to its natural dark grey.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 7

Posted on Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:46 pm

I wasn't suggesting that FB tumble the rings. I was just using the tumbling info as a proxy for how regular wear and tear effects the two materials.

Posted on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:35 pm

When I got the titanium rings I had no inkling that the anodized layer would wear off without outright abrasion. At least this time I can be frugal at first and try 2.4 mm 20 gauge jens pind at first, which won't cost me too much. I'll post back with the outcome. Thanks everyone for your replies! Smile

Flutebeard

Posted on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:54 pm

So I have recently had the chance to get some rings and make a niobium bracelet, I am wearing it from now on! In the bath, ocean, or anywhere else, I won't be removing it. Will message back here if colour starts to wear away, so no news is good news.

Flutebeard

Submissions: 9

Posted on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:30 pm

I managed to damage a rather nice silver and niobium japanese 12-in-2 bracelet by polishing it in a magnetic tumbler - the color coating wore right off in places. (It's currently in pieces while I replace the faded bits.)
But that is pretty aggressive treatment, and I never saw any fading in niobium jewelry with regular wear.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:32 pm

PS I'm otherwise loving the magnetic tumbler, which was a Christmas gift. Super-fast polishing for small items and very quiet. Does anyone else here have one?

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1