***Entries for Theme Contest 26 - Webs***
View previous topic | View next topic >
Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion
   
Author Message

Joined: May 16, 2014
Posts: 2
Submissions: 0

Reply with quote
Posted on Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:14 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm in, I think.

Joined: November 20, 2006
Posts: 2
Submissions: 0

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:35 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm going to try. I've never entered anything before!

Joined: February 8, 2013
Posts: 737
Submissions: 61
Location: Australia

Entry: Ornament For Ornament
Reply with quote
Posted on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:41 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Yes, I know this is early; I was planning to do something else, but this idea grabbed me and I had to do it NOW. This is an ornament to drape over a Christmas Ornament.



Weave: Japanese 3 in 1
Rings:
Bright Aluminium ID=4.0mm WD=1.0mm
Brass (Silver) triangle 8mm sides, WD=1mm
Glass (Red) variable size, but on average ID=2.5mm WD=2mm
Dangles: Nickel-plated steel Willow-leaf spinner blades.


Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Joined: August 30, 2008
Posts: 3107
Submissions: 20
Location: Burlington, ON, Canada

Re: Entry: Ornament For Ornament
Reply with quote
Posted on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:01 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

kerravonsen wrote:
Yes, I know this is early; I was planning to do something else, but this idea grabbed me and I had to do it NOW. This is an ornament to drape over a Christmas Ornament.


(For those who want size comparison... The UK 50 Pence is roughly the same size as the Canadian Loonie... And/or slightly larger than a US Quarter)



Joined: February 8, 2013
Posts: 737
Submissions: 61
Location: Australia

Re: Entry: Ornament For Ornament
Reply with quote
Posted on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:27 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
(For those who want size comparison... The UK 50 Pence is roughly the same size as the Canadian Loonie... And/or slightly larger than a US Quarter)

Yes, I'm afraid that the US Quarter was in the part of the picture that is hidden by the insert of the Christmas bauble.


Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Joined: October 29, 2014
Posts: 15
Submissions: 2
Location: United States

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:38 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm in! Smile

Joined: August 30, 2008
Posts: 3107
Submissions: 20
Location: Burlington, ON, Canada

Re: Entry: Ornament For Ornament
Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:56 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

kerravonsen wrote:
Daemon_Lotos wrote:
(For those who want size comparison... The UK 50 Pence is roughly the same size as the Canadian Loonie... And/or slightly larger than a US Quarter)

Yes, I'm afraid that the US Quarter was in the part of the picture that is hidden by the insert of the Christmas bauble.


Remind me to send you a Canadian coin Smile



Joined: September 14, 2014
Posts: 7
Submissions: 8
Location: Guyana, South America

Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:08 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I might be in, but need some clarification on the rules for my first contest entry.

Contest Rules
1. Entries must be previously unsubmitted work. Entries must be at least 2/3 maille woven within the time frame of the contest. The remaining 1/3 can be any maille previously woven or any non-maille. Maille consists of any rings, metal or otherwise, or ring substitutes like scales or pop tabs. Non-maille consists of things like beads or wire wraps.


1. Does "previously unsubmitted work" mean a gallery submission awaiting approval or is that just for previous contest entry's?
2. (a) If a single completed 20mm wide Celtic filigree unit variant with 40 rings were to solidly capture a loose 10mm round Gemstone, would that 50% of total mounted size violate the 2/3rds maille rule?
(b) If so, would insertion of the unit in into a newly made maille bracelet then qualify under the 2/3rds Maille rule?

Joined: November 25, 2010
Posts: 1727
Submissions: 100
Location: Es-whoy-malth B.C.

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:08 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

i don't think anyone will be upset with your interpretation of the guidelines.

Joined: December 22, 2007
Posts: 4610
Submissions: 106
Location: Hampton, Virginia USA

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:16 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

wire wrote:
I might be in, but need some clarification on the rules for my first contest entry.

Contest Rules
1. Entries must be previously unsubmitted work. Entries must be at least 2/3 maille woven within the time frame of the contest. The remaining 1/3 can be any maille previously woven or any non-maille. Maille consists of any rings, metal or otherwise, or ring substitutes like scales or pop tabs. Non-maille consists of things like beads or wire wraps.

1. Does "previously unsubmitted work" mean a gallery submission awaiting approval or is that just for previous contest entry's?
2. (a) If a single completed 20mm wide Celtic filigree unit variant with 40 rings were to solidly capture a loose 10mm round Gemstone, would that 50% of total mounted size violate the 2/3rds maille rule?
(b) If so, would insertion of the unit in into a newly made maille bracelet then qualify under the 2/3rds Maille rule?

Since MAIL is about maille, the contest entries should be composed of maille. Requiring it be 100% maille is too strict, so we came up with a way to allow a little wiggle room by allowing a small part of your entry to be non-maille. Using work that was made before the contest is allowed, as long as it does not make up the majority of your entry. Use your best judgment about whether your entry follows the rule.


"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Joined: September 14, 2014
Posts: 7
Submissions: 8
Location: Guyana, South America

Reply with quote
Posted on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:12 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

TY, djgm and Lorraine, I'm in like Flint!

Joined: November 25, 2010
Posts: 1727
Submissions: 100
Location: Es-whoy-malth B.C.

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:34 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

here is an entry. the chain is 18swg saw cut 9/64" bronze jpl, the dreamcatcher is made with a gold fill 16swg ring the web is 22awg silver with a silver bead the little leaves on the bottom are copper.
entry number two is all stainless steel the dream catcher is made out of 18swg 5/32" and 18swg 1/8" ar 2.9 inside a keyring with small scales on the bottom. it's attached to an hp4in1 chain made out of 20awg 5/32".

Joined: July 1, 2014
Posts: 67
Submissions: 7
Location: FL, USA

Reply with quote
Posted on Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:32 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Yeah, I got nothing.
I'm out.

Joined: July 11, 2003
Posts: 451
Submissions: 35
Location: Rochester, NY, USA

Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:47 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post



This is a proof-of-concept for another piece, which I had wanted to submit but finding someone from whom to rent a small-scale laser welder is proving challenging. The piece above uses about one third of the total rings necessary for the intended piece. I used stainless steel for its similarities with regard to weight and shine in place of sterling silver. Lastly, this piece is finished (not well) with hematite beads which will be set synthetic emeralds on the larger piece.

The inset provides an overview of the entire necklace.

Weave: Byzantine
Beads: Hematite 6mm, Hematite 8mm
Rings: TRL SXSS-SQ2018, SXSS1818
Clasp: TRL JcLC-SS-9

Joined: October 29, 2014
Posts: 15
Submissions: 2
Location: United States

My first Entry
Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:16 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

This is my entry for contest #26 "Webs".

SBG Spiral-Web Trap




SBG Spiral-Web-Trap
Weaves Used: Spiral, Jpl, Spiral-Web
Rings Used: 18g Red-Brass 3/16 i.d., 18g Aluminum and anodized aluminum 5/32 and 7/32 i.d

Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
All times are GMT. The time now is Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:11 am
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion
Display posts from previous: