ring size question
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

ring size question
Posted on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:58 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi, I am currently working on a set of scalemail armor. I have several thousand rings that are 16 ga 3/8". Now my question is will that sizer of ring still work for the large scales or should I use the recommended 16ga 5/16"?
Thanks,

Phil

Submissions: 61

Posted on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:51 am

Depends on whether you want to experiment or not. I would think that using rings which are too large would make the scale-maille flop around and not sit right. But you wouldn't know for absolutely certain unless you tried it out.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:37 am

I'm inclined to believe 16ga (SWG) rings at 3/8", even in stainless wire, would be too weak to be durable enough to build a shirt in. Light gauge wire is pretty sensitive to being coiled too big.

There's a laborious way to salvage the lot and shrink them down. You'd need a mandrel that is smaller to get the rings sized right. 5/16" is really about the absolute maximum for butted 16ga.

If your links are not of galvanized wire, you do have an opportunity to master riveted-link mail, which doesn't have to worry very much about link aspect ratio, using that 5/16" mandrel. You can look the phrase up Search-buttoning onsite.

Welcome and well come, Phil0352.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:39 pm

I agree with kerravonsen. You'll never really know unless you try. It wouldn't take very long to discover if you like the way it sets or not. And then, you're not really out much but a little bit of time.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1