Stretchy Scalemail
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 5

Stretchy Scalemail
Posted on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:18 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I looked around a bit and couldn't seem to find anyone that's made stretchy scalemail, maybe it's called something else but the only things I found were stretchy bracelets made from another weave with a row or two of scales attached to it. This seems odd to me given on a base level it's just J4in1 with an extra EPMD ring (or two in my example) to pull it tight. In the pursuit of claspless bracers and form fitting chest pieces this seems like a dead simple solution. If it has a more proper name I'd love to know what it's called. I've been meaning to post this for a while now so here it is finally, Stretchy Scalemail.

Looks fairly normal from above.

Flip it over.

Stretch it horizontally.

Prior to stretching it vertically.

Stretched vertically.

The rings I'm using are not optimal, the yellow EPMD rings have an AR of 4.5 and the BA rings an AR of 6.6 but they do the trick for example purposes. The scales are small SS from TRL.

How to build stretchy scalemail.
-Build normal scalemail only every time you add a scale add an EPMD ring with the scale. Think of the EPMD ring and the hole in the scale as one hybrid ring, the EPMD is the smallest the hybrid ring can be and the hole in the scale is the largest the hybrid ring can be. The connecting rings (BA in my example) pass through the EPMD ring in the same fashion as they pass through the scale. The EPMD rings make the sheet want to pull back and tighten up, the scales serve as a limiter preventing the sheet from stretching beyond a certain point. As a whole they create a hybrid ring that rests tight but expands to the size of a normal sheet of scalemail when pulled.

As you can see the piece stretches from three inches to around three an a half inches when pulled in either direction. When stretched in both directions at the same time the expansion is minimal but this is a tiny piece of scalemail. The more scales the stretchier it gets.

The principal idea of hybrid rings (one larger metal ring and a smaller EPMD ring) can be applied to many weaves to make them stretchy.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 388

Posted on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:39 am

this is great. i will definitely be using this. i get lots of scale orders and i've been looking for a good solution - making scale maille stretchy. i have lots of different ar's in rubber, so i think i can optimize it.

Submissions: 243

Posted on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:29 am

I've actually done this in the past, I was attempting to make the scales a little more comfortable and quieter, the stretching was an interesting side effect. I found it works best with punched rubber rings about 5/16" ID, 7/16" OD and 1/32" thick for a subtle difference.

The main downside is that when you have a large sheet of scales done this way it gets pretty difficult to stretch them out. A full vest could be very constricting. It also doesn't work with welded rings unless you like your armour to smell of burning rubber.

http://www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Submissions: 22

Posted on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 am

Interesting.

And very clever!

Submissions: 5

Posted on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:01 pm

I'm glad you guys like the idea, I hope it serves you well.

lorenzo wrote:
I've actually done this in the past.

I figured if anyone had done it, it would be you.

lorenzo wrote:
The main downside is that when you have a large sheet of scales done this way it gets pretty difficult to stretch them out.

That did seem like an eventuality but then I thought of only doing every second row or column with EPMD but that would affect the look to some degree. The other option, make every second row or column with a slightly smaller or larger EPMD ring to vary the tension across the sheet or more than one EPMD ring to increase the pull-back. Another thought only use them in expansion zones. On say a chest piece only the flanks would be done with EPMD pulling the front and back taunt.

Play around and post back your results, I'm sure there are some sweet spots where the weave will work properly without tightening too much.

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat May 17, 2014 6:22 am

I've actually tried that but the lack of deep stretch doesn't work well on bracelets (works better on bras though). I've made true stretchy scalemaille (don't have photos to hand), but I used a crochet hook along with the pliers, with small ID metal rings and large ID rubber rings. So far it's a bit time consuming to make, but I'm getting faster. There's a weave that sticks the scales out more, and a weave that lays them more flat.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1