titanium byzantine?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

titanium byzantine?
Posted on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:27 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Want to make byzantine out of titanium for a customer; I've been reading it's an extremely hard metal to work with. Will I need special pliers, and would I be better off working in 18 5/32 and 18 3/16 titanium or would 20 gauge (what size?) be easier? Or am I being masochistic to take this on?!

Posted on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:46 pm

Well it depends on what materials you have been working with.
For me I find TI just a little more tricky then stainless in the same size.

Going from aluminum to TI can be quite a change.

As for pliers what are you useing now?

Submissions: 61

Posted on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:26 pm

20 gauge (0.8mm) would be easier, yes. If you're doing Byzantine you'd want something with around an AR of 3.5. Since you're in Canada, you'd be buying from The Ring Lord, yes? I would suggest their 20ga 1/8'' ID Titanium, because that's closest; it has an AR of around 4, and the next smallest rings in that gauge have an AR of 3, which is too small for Byzantine. I'm not sure how well an AR of 4 works for Byzantine, though.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Posted on Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:56 pm

Thankyou for your response Losthelm. I am Promex Premium Chain Nose from The Ring Lord. Have worked with stainless steel; due to some arthritis find it hard working with anything smaller than 18 3/16 in stainless steel however. 20 gauge I'm fine with.

ring size
Posted on Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Thank you Kerravonsen, I will try the 20 1/8!

Submissions: 388

Posted on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:32 am

i recommend using titanium grade 1 for jewelry applications. but trl doesn't offer it. i get mine from www.reactivemetals.com

they supply in awg, so be careful. trl's grade 5 20g 1/8" will work fine for byz. you will have no problem bending it.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:43 pm

mithrilweaver wrote:
i recommend using titanium grade 1 for jewelry applications. but trl doesn't offer it. i get mine from www.reactivemetals.com

they supply in awg, so be careful. trl's grade 5 20g 1/8" will work fine for byz. you will have no problem bending it.

^What mithrilweaver said!

Also, yes be careful when comparing the two. Read the wire size actual measurements and not just the gauge number. (I swear, "Gauge means NOTHING!" is going to become my mantra!). Also be aware that Reactive Metals sells ozt (troy ounces) while TRL sells oz (ounces). You get about 10% more material in a ozt. Also, the titanium and niobium you get from RMs is of excellent quality, always. TRL is hit or miss. That's the chance you take for lower prices. Sometimes it's totally worth it. Sometimes it's not.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:58 am

Has anyone had success ordering titanium wire from China? Various grades and gauges priced at ~US$30/kg, plus shipping. Thinking of giving it a go...

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:05 am

Honestly, the primary difficulty I find in working with titanium is the springback (at least in the grade I work with, which is from TRL). It will return to its original shape unless the closure is exaggerated past the point you would normally go. The metal itself is only slightly less yielding than stainless.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1