Weave Wiki?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Weave Wiki?
Posted on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I was wondering, does anyone know of a wiki out there that goes through the different weaves? I ran a google search, but I didn't come up with anything. I was thinking of starting one on Wikia. It seems like the structure of the wikis would lend itself really well to describing the different weaves and making tutorials for them.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Our Weave DB is actually a form of interlinked wiki. It's just not community editable... Though content is submit able.

Submissions: 22

Posted on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:35 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
It's just not community editable... Though content is submit able.

Anyone can add a tutorial to any weave (with admin approval), right?
So, this site is a kind of moderated wiki.

Posted on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Shirluban wrote:
Daemon_Lotos wrote:
It's just not community editable... Though content is submit able.

Anyone can add a tutorial to any weave (with admin approval), right?
So, this site is a kind of moderated wiki.

Exactly!
And it's not just Tutorials... You can add an article on anything maille related, how you hold your pliers, your coiling setup, etc.

Part of the reason MAIL is moderated, is due to our "low" membership... Not low per-se, but low compared to something like Wikipedia, where moderation is mostly unneeded due to such large numbers of editors. Vandalism, while it does happen, is quickly caught... Here it might not be so quickly.
Also, when MAIL first existed, and to the current day, content was submitted under an agreement leaving the content (text and images) in the ownership/copyright of the submitter, and thus not 'editable'.
There has been talk of allowing community editing of others 'parts' of the entries, those not covered in the original submission, and adding of additional information.

Aa always, we look to the future.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:14 pm

I'm happy with the MAIL site as it is, for the most part, but I also separately love the idea of a more free-form community-editable wiki. I think both models have their place and their own usefulness. I think it could be a valuable resource, so if there's nothing like that in existence now, I'd say to go for it, and create one. Smile

Submissions: 61

Posted on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:57 pm

I think making a wiki would be a needless duplication of effort, considering that (a) M.A.I.L.'s weave database is pretty comprehensive and (b) there aren't a lot of people champing at the bit to write articles, and I personally would rather they wrote articles for M.A.I.L.!

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Posted on Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:32 am

Linking related images, articles and notes to an original tutorial/arrival would be useful.
Sort of a foot note/end note style would be doable without modifying the original work.

It may help to send the originator a note to see if it helps with revisions or modifications or spur creative energies for additional content.

Things like phongs ring sizes being slightly off with TRL's current manufacturing process.

Posted on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:22 am

losthelm wrote:
Linking related images, articles and notes to an original tutorial/arrival would be useful.
Sort of a foot note/end note style would be doable without modifying the original work.

It may help to send the originator a note to see if it helps with revisions or modifications or spur creative energies for additional content.

Things like phongs ring sizes being slightly off with TRL's current manufacturing process.

Images and Articles are tagged and linked to from related Weaves... Or did I miss something??

Posted on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:55 am

Maybe some form of commenting on articles/weaves/gallery?

Either with a commentary field directly in the article, or an easy way to start a thread in the forum with an automatic link in the article.

I found myself a couple of times wanting to ask a question about an article or a weave, or see what other have written about it, but think it's too much of an effort to search the forum and maybe (but probably not) find a thread about the exact article I'm interested in.

Posted on Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:59 pm

CorpseEater wrote:
an easy way to start a thread in the forum with an automatic link in the article.

That's actually on the drawing board Smile

Submissions: 16

Posted on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:25 pm

I love the M.A.I.L database here. It would be nice to be able to comment on photos and articles and such though.

Posted on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:45 pm

Hi all. Not sure if I'm on the right track but this site is fairly comprehensive and may be of some use.

Joshuadiliberto.com

One of these days I'll learn how to use tags or whatever...for a link. Sorry Rolling Eyes Forums are new to me. Not one for SM.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:07 pm

mithrilweaver (Josh) is one of the very talented members here.

Posted on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:15 am

Gee. Newbies heh.

Posted on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:01 am

I'd really appreciate seeing comments enabled for the library. Yes, there would have to be some spam monitoring however, so I get that might be not worth it.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next