Simply complex
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 1

Simply complex
Posted on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:25 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

This is one I finished last night after working on it, on and off, for months, since last September.

It's a very simple 2 x 2 weave, each row joined by 1 ring where the rows lay flat. So I guess you could call it a 2 x 2 by 2 x 1. (?)

They call these Pan necklace, Pan collar necklace, or Peter Pan collar necklace. It's 18-gauge silver plated wire, almost 20 yards of it, hand-coiled and hand-cut by me. Necklace length is about 21 inches, with a hand-made hook for a clasp.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Submissions: 76

Posted on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:34 pm

You could call the pattern a variation between Japanese 4 in 1 and Japanese 8 in 2.
Had some trouble with thin silver-plated wire, they tended to lose the silver from the copper base when worn on skin.

Looks very nice, good work Smile

Posted on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:58 am

I know what you mean about silver plated wire. I started this thing before I had gotten into the good stuff, though. That, and I wouldn't find too many people around here that would want to pay for solid sterling plus all the labor involved in this.

Here's a pic of my ring cutting setup, as highly advanced and modern as it is.

Submissions: 76

Posted on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:00 pm

I've got some of the gold filled wire now, they also have a silver version of that. Am anxious to find out how that holds up.
Solid sterling isn't that expensive and I really like working with it. Sawing the rings takes up a lot of time.
Might be an idea to try and construct a sawing machine Smile

Am cleaning up and setting up my workspace. Think I'll post some pictures or make an article on the different steps I took in making chainmail, might be useful for beginners or people wanting to take the next step.

Was the necklace a project for a customer?
Nice anvil.

Posted on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:54 pm

I'm like you, Nearoth. I've made a couple of wire wrap rings with gold filled wire, and buffed them with polishing compound, my Dremel, and a small loose section wheel. No damage, unlike when I did the same with the silver plated wire and took the plating right off.

I compared prices, and didn't see much point in using silver filled wire versus solid sterling or Argentium, which is slightly higher than sterling.

So, like you, I'm making the transition away from plated wire. It's just probably going to take me a bit longer.

Posted on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:08 pm

Nearoth wrote:
Was the necklace a project for a customer?
Nice anvil.

No, I saw a pic of one made with anodized aluminum on Etsy and said, "Hey, that looks neat and easy! I could do that!"

So once I started I kept going until I finally got it done.

I have to wonder how the silver plating will hold up, compared to gold-colored anodized aluminum. Which one would wear through first?

BTW, the anvil comes from Harbor Freight.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1