Clasp for shiny aluminum bracelet
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Clasp for shiny aluminum bracelet
Posted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:11 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

What is the best material to use as a clasp for aluminum bracelets? Depending on how shiny your rings are, sometimes silver/silver plated works but they tarnish and don't match for very long.

Is there a supplier of assorted styles of aluminum clasps or is aluminum just too soft to be practical?

My first post, I hope if followed the rules. Rolling Eyes

Thanks.

Posted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:30 pm

I know Rio Grande has a few cast aluminium clasps, but not may places carry them. For fancy looking clasps I tend to use pewter, otherwise silver plated brass works fine.

For anodized aluminium I use the coloured lobster claw clasps TRL sells, or just make them using a combination of aluminium and rubber rings so I can leave out the clasps completely.

Posted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:32 pm

I use the same material as the chain most of the time. Though lately I'm mixing colors/materials.
There area a few easy wire work clasps that standout as a focal if done in a contrasting material like copper or brass.
Your local library or interlibrary loan may have a few wire work books/magazines. There are a few basic clasps in the artical/ gallery section worth looking at as well.

Posted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:25 pm

I have tried to make my own clasps but they never seem to be as durable as the purchased ones. Also again, the silver tarnishes quickly and does not match at all with the remainder of the chain.

I will try your suggestion regarding a different material and attempt to tie it in with the design.

Thank you for your help.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:18 pm

Try a local hobby store. They usually have some cheaper clasps that should not only look good, but be strong as well.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:38 am

I've gotten some aluminum clasps from https://www.etsy.com/shop/UnkamenSupplies. Specifically, these: https://www.etsy.com/listing/77164616/3-hand-forged-aluminum-clasps-17mm-x-9mm (I got a set of 10). Very shiny, well-made. They also have a standalone site at http://www.unkamensupplies.com/.

Making your own would be more cost-effective, but for some of us the lack of effort makes the price worth it Smile. I like putting rings together, but not shaping wire. I also buy all my rings.

Posted on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:31 am

I buy stainless steel clasps and toggles in lots from China. They're not that expensive, and really the colour's not that different to clear aluminium, and goes with everything else, and the best thing is that it's very good quality compared to the plated crap.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1