"Bubbles", "Roosa" or something else?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 16

"Bubbles", "Roosa" or something else?
Posted on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:39 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I found this weave a while back, but I forget where. I thought it was called "Bubbles". However, I have seen it recently in a few different places online (usually with beads) as Roosa.

Here is a bracelet I made without beads -

Here is a pair of earrings I made yesterday with beads -

It is constructed similar to Back to Work, but without the ring in the back.

So what would you call it? Roosa, Bubbles, or a Back to Work variation ... or something else?

Submissions: 61

Re: "Bubbles", "Roosa" or something else
Posted on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:52 am

Flutter wrote:
It is constructed similar to Back to Work, but without the ring in the back.

Yes, I thought it looked very like Back to Work.

Flutter wrote:
So what would you call it? Roosa, Bubbles, or a Back to Work variation ... or something else?

Certainly not Bubbles, because there's already a weave here called Bubble Chain.
Probably simplest to call it a variation of Back to Work.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:56 am

Looks like Back to Work with the back of the sandwich rings left off. Which to me looks like units of Celtic Visions joined sideways without the cross rings.

Looking at Long Canyon's website, what they call Bubbles is what you have made. Roosa is slightly different because the connections on each side of the celtic unit are not joined the same. One side is joined Celtic Visions-style and the other side is just joined to the middle ring of the unit. Bubbles looks like a more elaborate way of adding connector rings. Reminds me of Eye Period Exclamationmark and Eye Period Questionmark.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 16

Posted on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:01 am

Ah - I see how the rings are connected differently on the "Roosa" on Long Canyon's site now. The Bubbles one on there does look like what I made. Maybe that is where I saw it before.

I have never seen the Eye Period ones you mentioned Lorraine. I will have to look at those.

Posted on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:37 am

Yeah, I didn't even remember we had Bubble Chain. Bubbles is definitely not Bubble Chain.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:56 am

umm why do people name weaves the same that are different, just found another Bubble weave here http://thebeadman.com/free-instructions/bubble-jump-ring-chain, defiantly not the same

Submissions: 61

Posted on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:46 am

traceyalex wrote:
umm why do people name weaves the same that are different

Because there's no "official" names for any of them. Sure, the names that are in the M.A.I.L. database are used by us here, but outside of this site... anything goes. At least there do exist weaves that most people do agree on the names of, such as "European 4 in 1".

The maille community is lucky compared to the crochet community, who can't even agree on the names for the basic crochet stitches: there are two completely incompatible naming conventions, both of which use the same name for different stitches. Ask someone on one side of the Atlantic what "single crochet" or "double crochet" are, and you get a different answer from someone on the other side of the Atlantic. Ask someone what "moss stitch" or "grit stitch" or "V stitch" are, and you'll get different answers too.

One just has to live with it.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Posted on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:21 am

Sometimes people are naming their design instead of the weave and when someone else makes it, the name sticks. Sometimes people think they have made a weave that no one else has ever made and they name it something different than what it is called on MAIL. Some people have never heard of MAIL and don't know any other name for a weave than what the person who taught it to them called it. MAIL is a great website, but we don't have any "authority" to force other people to call weaves the same thing we call them. When an alternate name becomes popular (not just a one time thing) and we find out about it, we try to make sure to add an AKA on the weave's page.

I occasionally google chainmaille and see what people are making and what they are calling it so that we can stay on top of things, but I'm sure I have missed some things. Smile That's why a picture is so helpful when people ask "what we is this? or "how do I make _______?

Lorraine's Chains

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1