Cleaning Bright and Anodized Aluminum
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Cleaning Bright and Anodized Aluminum
Posted on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:16 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I've run into a situation, and haven't been able to find a comprehensive answer. I am nearing completion on a scale bikini top that uses anodized scales, but bright aluminum rings. In the process (likely due to my body chemistry), the bright aluminum has tarnished a great deal, covering the whole piece in a good bit of black gunk. I've found various methods for cleaning the bright aluminum (vinegar/citrus/cream of tartar mixtures, tumbling in sacks of rice, etc), but I'm concerned about the potential effects on the anodized aluminum (some of the scales are C&T's UV reactive ones as well).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Posted on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:13 pm

I'd suggest you try mild soap and warm water, first. Possibly contact C&T to ask them what they would suggest to safely clean an item made with their scales.

Submissions: 14

Posted on Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:24 pm

IIRC, usually the way anodized aluminum works, there is the metal, then a porus layer of metal with colored dye in it, then a sort of clear coat on the outside. The bright aluminum should be fine with tumbling, I've never had any problems with that (my skin turns BA black too). For short time periods, tumbling might work. I would test any cleaning on a few scales or rings first, before subjecting the whole project to it.

Probably the best thing to try first is the mild soap and warm water, like twilightbanana said. Usually black gunk on BA comes off fairly easily. If that doesn't have the desired effect, try a few different things on extra rings/scales and see what works best. Good luck!

I'll rise, but I won't shine.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:37 pm

I really wish there was something besides tumbling that would bring back the bright shine to BA after it gets dull.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:05 am

Flutter wrote:
I really wish there was something besides tumbling that would bring back the bright shine to BA after it gets dull.

Well, there is... Sort of.

Liquid dish soap (everyone swears by Blue Dawn, but I'll use anything I can get...) will cut through most of it, and with a bit of a swish around, letting the rings bump each other for a minute or two, it'll mostly be gone.
Aluminium Oxide (that black crap/dulling the aluminium gets) is a fairly easy to get rid of Oxide. (Compare with iron(III) oxide (Fe2O3) AKA rust)

Tossing it around in a bag of plain white rice will also make a marked difference (the rice will go icky, mind you..)

Posted on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:35 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Flutter wrote:

Well, there is... Sort of.

Liquid dish soap (everyone swears by Blue Dawn, but I'll use anything I can get...) will cut through most of it, and with a bit of a swish around, letting the rings bump each other for a minute or two, it'll mostly be gone.
Aluminium Oxide (that black crap/dulling the aluminium gets) is a fairly easy to get rid of Oxide. (Compare with iron(III) oxide (Fe2O3) AKA rust)

Tossing it around in a bag of plain white rice will also make a marked difference (the rice will go icky, mind you..)

I have tried the soap, maybe I will try again with the Blue Dawn. I have never tried the rice ... so like rice in direct contact with the metal, nothing else?

Thanks Smile

Submissions: 20

Posted on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:08 am

Flutter wrote:
I have tried the soap, maybe I will try again with the Blue Dawn. I have never tried the rice ... so like rice in direct contact with the metal, nothing else?

Thanks Smile

Any dish liquid will work. Remember that JUST dish liquid is no good, you need a bit of water to activate it... Literally just put some water and dish soap in the sink and use your hands to manipulate the piece...
AKA: College Student Does Dishes

For the rice, toss the (dry) offending piece in a Ziploc bag with some dry white rice. Seal, toss.

Posted on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:42 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Flutter wrote:

Thanks Smile

Any dish liquid will work. Remember that JUST dish liquid is no good, you need a bit of water to activate it... Literally just put some water and dish soap in the sink and use your hands to manipulate the piece...
AKA: College Student Does Dishes

For the rice, toss the (dry) offending piece in a Ziploc bag with some dry white rice. Seal, toss.

Thanks Daemon; I will try that Smile

Submissions: 14

Posted on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:57 pm

Oh, I truly want to see someone try tumbling maille using cooked rice... Coif LoL

I'll rise, but I won't shine.

Posted on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:32 pm

Sorry for posting and disappearing; spent the week visiting a friend and learning to make a long bow.

I'll give the Dawn and rice tumbling a try tonight! And maybe I'll get loopy and tumble a small piece of something in cooked rice (with pics, of course)...

Submissions: 42

Posted on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:41 pm

Just make sure you don't tumble things in both Dawn and rice at the same time. Could get messy. Very Happy

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:47 pm

Right. Cook the rice in the Dawn, THEN tumble. Got it! Razz

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:22 pm

Gelfling wrote:
Right. Cook the rice in the Dawn, THEN tumble. Got it! Razz

*giant snort*

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:40 pm

A note from C&T about their UV scales; they are basically anodized, with no other special warnings. Just an FYI, if anyone is interested.

EDIT: Also, C&T was unsure on how to proceed, as they haven't ever had to clean a piece after the fact. I will be trying the Dawn/rice process on a small piece made from leftover scales first; if that goes well, I'll treat the actual work. Regardless, I'll post the results here afterwards.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:53 pm

Quote:

Right. Cook the rice in the Dawn, THEN tumble. Got it!

You guys just made me fall out of a chair. Coif LoL

These are fleeting moments within we live.
In tomorrow I die.
Unto today I live forever.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next