A few Coifs (pic heavy)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 0

scale coif
Posted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:11 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

A lot of time there! It's nice to see someone in armor smiling rather than trying to be Mr. Toughguy.

I would like to ask you a few questions about the scale coif if I may. I am in the beginning stages of doing one with the small scales . . .

1.) Do you know how many scales (roughly) it took you? I am trying to figure my ordering list. I want to double check my square foot estimate.

2.) How did you do the top seam? It looks like the seam runs down the middle of the top (45 degree?) but it appears the back has 45 degree seams. Do you have any pictures looking down on it? Was it 4 or 5 pieces with 45 (60) degree joins at the top like a standard coif? I am asking because the seams on the sides/rear don't seem to show.

3.) Do you intend to scale the lower section or leave it transitioned to traditional mail? I am curious if you have a reason (other than design) for doing the ring sections without scales. It looks nice.

Any other tip or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

pa

EDIT -- P.S. Sorry for posting in this thread, I didn't realize it had been brought back from the dead.

Submissions: 13

Posted on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:46 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Walkyrje wrote:
Remember that our ancestors would have worn these over an arming cap, not right against their skin / hair. A touch larger would help with leaving room for that.

I won't make a coif without having something underneath. Being a guy with ~60 cm of hair on top of my head, needless to say, it would probably get stuck without anything under. And that would hurt. Like crazy!

Edit: Haha I didn't see either that it was a long forgotten thread

"When in doubt... C4" - Jamie Hyneman

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/wpa09
My band: http://www.facebook.com/carnosus

"This is an art form, and we love to be recognized for our own work, and we'd all hope not to be confused with someone else."
- Charon, March 27, 2009

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2