What are your favorite websites to purchase colored rings?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

What are your favorite websites to purchase colored rings?
Posted on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:03 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I just ordered colored rings (16swg 3/8" AA) in pink and what was supposed to be red from a retailer I'd rather not name, only because I'm not happy with the "red" rings I got. I am curious about where else I can purchase rings, since I'm not happy. Is red generally a tough color to anodize? It looks more like pale magenta or fuchsia; and the website photo for their red is *Really* stop sign gorgeous red.

Please let me know where you love to purchase colored rings from online. I appreciate your help/answers.

xo,
erin

Never trust atoms.
They make up everything. Wink

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:19 pm

Where ever I can find what I'm looking for the cheapest Wink

Blude Buddha, C&T Designs, Mithral Armory, Etsy, eBay, Amazon ...

Submissions: 61

Re: What are your favorite websites to purchase colored ring
Posted on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:11 pm

pink.owl wrote:
Is red generally a tough color to anodize? It looks more like pale magenta or fuchsia; and the website photo for their red is *Really* stop sign gorgeous red.

Red does seem to be a difficult colour to anodize, yes. The only "true" stop-sign fire-engine red I've found in rings... has been Enamelled Copper. That's what I buy it for: the red. Otherwise I wouldn't touch EC because it is difficult to work with without scratching it. The only thing worse is matt white Anodized Aluminium - you look at that stuff and it scratches. Glossy AA is much more robust, for some reason.

All that being said, giving you pink when you asked for red is a bit much... the red AA I've bought from both TRL and Aussie Maille is a pinkish-red, true, but it tends towards burgundy rather than magenta.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:09 am

pink.owl wrote:
I just ordered colored rings (16swg 3/8" AA) in pink and what was supposed to be red from a retailer I'd rather not name, only because I'm not happy with the "red" rings I got. I am curious about where else I can purchase rings, since I'm not happy. Is red generally a tough color to anodize? It looks more like pale magenta or fuchsia; and the website photo for their red is *Really* stop sign gorgeous red.

Please let me know where you love to purchase colored rings from online. I appreciate your help/answers.

xo,
erin

Anodized rings is one of those things that varies batch-to-batch... My first piece of advice would be to contact the supplier, and let them know you're not happy... They'll likely offer to refund or swap the product.

Other than that, I order any "rings" I buy from The Ring Lord... And have for a donkey's age... I've had good and bad red AA batches over the years... Hell, I've had good and bad batches in multiple colours... Sometimes a large discolouration problem, sometimes just a different colour than I expected... Usually fixed with a quick chat with Bernice or someone else in Customer Service.
And yes, I have received "True Fire Engine Red" from them over the years Smile

If you want consistent vibrant colour, EC is the way to go, but at a sacrifice of strength... Also 16gswg is really not a viable size for EC wire..

Submissions: 544

Posted on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:12 am

It's too bad EC is never (or very rarely) made from full hard copper. Then it would be useful for maille.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:04 am

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
It's too bad EC is never (or very rarely) made from full hard copper. Then it would be useful for maille.

I have some Enamelled ??? (It's either Steel or Aluminium) that is MUCH stronger... That stuff is useful Very Happy (It's also a pain to cut in micro sizes...)

Posted on Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:23 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
If you want consistent vibrant colour, EC is the way to go, but at a sacrifice of strength... Also 16gswg is really not a viable size for EC wire..

I've never seen 16 SWG EC rings, alas. Only 16 AWG (1.29mm) and not always then. Which is a pity because EC at 1mm (19 SWG / 18 AWG) is just too weak. Oh, I use it, yes, but only in combination with other metals.

Submissions: 15

Posted on Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:36 pm || Last edited by okiemaille on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:02 am; edited 2 times in total

Parawire and Artistic Wire both have 14awg.

14AWG Artistic Wire

14AWG Parawire

ETA: I realize you may not be set up to make your own rings, but I have only seen EC wire in this size.

Posted on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:13 am

I wanted to pop in to the thread and thank everyone who has supplied answers as to where you purchase your colored rings (and other answers Smile )

But also to say: Keep answers coming guys, I want to find some great alternatives to where I was purchasing before, since I was dismayed at the quality, not just the non-red red, but even the amount of chipping and wear the rings I was sent have.

It'd be nice to see who the most popular colored-ring supplier is Wink

Thanks again,
erin

Never trust atoms.
They make up everything. Wink

Posted on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:22 am || Last edited by GeminiWinds on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

I don't have experience with other suppliers but I've been really pleased with The Ring Lord. Their anodized aluminum is bright and shiny. I've gotten about 25 different size/color combinations and all have been accurate and of good quality. They also have great customer service. Their shipping is steep but I offset that by making big orders (or um, that's what I tell myself when I make big orders anyway).

Submissions: 15

Posted on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:14 am

I like Aluminum Jumprings

I have only ordered once, but I ordered 4 different colors, including red. The color and cut quality are very nice. For the small quantity I wanted, the price was the best, and being in the US, I got them quickly.

Posted on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:17 am

I make my own rings and purchase wires from wires.co.uk (I think they might have a US site too, not sure). They also sell jump-rings.
Though I have found colours can vary from batch to batch - so I've made a mental note to order bigger reels next time.

I use enamelled copper as I find the colours are quite vibrant. I often wrap masking tape round the jaws of my pliers and this seems to help with the slipping and scratching issue with the enamel - although practice helps with this too and not working when tired.

Posted on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:10 am

I've ordered AA from a few suppliers.

The Ringlord (TRL) is mostly excellent; they've ironed out most of their quality issues with AA in the last few years. The gloss finish on their AA is usually the best I've seen, except when it's occasionally not (not counting the unanodised ends). They are really good value for money, and I know their processes would rather sacrifice some consistency in order to be more streamlined and cheap. I also like using the cheaper matte AA rings from time to time. Customer service is usually great. They're usually honest when a batch is off-colour, but sometimes let a dud batch through, which does annoy me a bit - I would rather be warned, and have a discount. Colour range is a little weird in gloss AA - this is so they could get cheaper off-the-shelf anodising dyes, but they have some very nice pastels. Also silver anodised which I appreciate.

C&T Designs has a greater range of colours than TRL, and the gloss finish on AA is improving. Batches tend to vary quite a bit in colour, which is good if you want to collect a range of shades.

Blue Buddha Boutique are pretty expensive; the glossiness is also improving. Nice range of fairly consistent colours (in my experience, anyway).

American Chain Mail on ebay has matte sawcut AA rings. The rings are fairly cheap, but arrive with the cutting grease and dust still on the, and in one batch, the colour thinned when bent, which is unacceptable.

Haven't tried Fire Mountain Gems' AA for a few years, but the last time I did they were very weak. Not many sizes, either, and their "red" was pink, "green" was mint, etc.

Posted on Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:47 pm

What's your opinion of Aussie Maille, calyx? Have you used them? I notice you're from Australia too, that's why I ask.

I usually go to Aussie Maille for their Bright Aluminium, because they polish it so beautifully.
Their AA is good quality, but rather limited in range of sizes and colours. They do have some colours that TRL doesn't have (e.g. UV-reactive, Dark Chocolate), but not every colour is available in every size.

Posted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:12 am

So I have been looking at C&T design and I can say I LOVE there rings. I would love more diversity for the AA section. They do not have many sizes there.

On a side note I LOVE how they have UV rings!!! I LOVE THAT. . . I sell at many raves though I would like a few more colors. . . gonna have to place a few orders to see what I like

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next