MAIL's Contest Guidelines - Image Size
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> M.A.I.L. Help

Submissions: 20

MAIL's Contest Guidelines - Image Size
Posted on Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:06 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

To continue on a discussion MaxumX started in the Gallery Contest thread, I'm posting this in an attempt to explain WHY the requirements that are in place are there...
We're not arbitrarily stifling your creativity, and peeing on your lawn, I promise...

MaxumX wrote:
it don't defeat the design at all. it a usefull tool for areas like this one. we are not posing to the gallery here. we are hosting off site. in a off site host i don't want a bunch of little images clogging up my library. i want my full size quality image that i can link to. if i was posting to the gallery it would be diffrent i would resize it as to the gallery guidlines.

Ahh, but....

Contest Rules wrote:
3. Pictures and descriptions of the entry must be submitted to the contest submission thread before the deadline, by hosting the pictures offsite. (In other words, you need to use an image hosting site to place your picture in the entry thread. They are free to use, you just have to register with them to create an account. Some examples of image hosting sites are TinyPic, Photobucket, Flickr, and ImageShack.) Pictures must be a MAXIMUM of 100KB and a MAXIMUM of 800px per side.

Offsite hosts, in general, provide a way to choose the size of the image as it is served. I'm not familiar with all of them to say they all do, but yours may/should. 800x600 / "Med" is a common serve.

MaxumX wrote:
the 100k image size for "low user overhead" is archaic, 10-12 years ago that was fine but with modern speeds and devices this limit could be raised significantly.

I'm gonna fight you on this... Let me do some math for you.

Let's assume that 20 people enter the contest, so Lorraine has to post 20 images on the "vote" page. At 100kb, that's already 2000kb, almost 2 Megs.

Assume those same 20 people instead uploaded a 10 Megapixel (chances are it would be higher, but let's aim low here...) that's 2.2Mb per image straight off the camera.

20 People with Images at 2.2Mb is 44 Megabytes... A hefty download... Especially when you have to take a mobile user into account.

And not every country in the world is up to the same Speed or Bandwidth level that the US is... Hell, even here in Canada, my mobile data (for which I pay a HEFTY sum) is a 2Gb cap per month.
If I were to view that contest thread 47 times from a mobile device, I'd go over my bandwidth...
Hell, it would even be a fair download over the bog-standard 5Megabit Downstream DSL. (625 KBps) You're looking at over a minute to download all the data for the page.

Sure, that's a bit of an extreme example, but people often visit the main contest page quite often when they're trying to see if their entry has received more votes.

Web Design 101: Less is more.

MaxumX wrote:
i do agree with the 800x600 (or 1024x768 for modern monitors) size for the forum but that is why a resize function is needed.

800x600 images fit nicely within a 1024x768 frame. Sure it looks slightly spare on a 1366x768 widescreen, but I digress... Coif LoL

MaxumX wrote:
a simple server side resizer could be implmented to keep the 'framework' from breaking. and allow users to see the hole pic with out scrolling over a tinny window. and because they are server side, only the smaller resized image is sent to the user.

Well, yes... But then the overhead shifts to the MAIL server, again, finite bandwidth... WE would be downloading the entire 5+mb image EVERY time someone viewed the page, and then resisizing it... It's a "will load faster for the user" solution, but at the cost of our resources instead... Mad

As always, in general in a forum post, you're free to post what you like...

But this is a little glimpse into the math of WHY we make the requests and requirements that we do. Very Happy

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:10 pm

*Removes gallery admin hat, this is completely the opinion of Jax25 as a person*

Can I just say that if you're going to bitch and moan about picture size rules on the forum and cite your reason being that "in a off site host i don't want a bunch of little images clogging up my library. i want my full size quality image that i can link to." then you should actually post QUALITY images. Your pictures are blurry as frell and could be better lit.

Yes, I'm a bitch, but I'm an honest one and I STILL don't get why it's so hard to resize your images to fit within the guidelines of a contest if you want to be a part of it. If you don't want little photos in your image hoster of choice (imgur, photobucket, whatever) delete them after the contest is over.

Submissions: 74

Posted on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:56 am

Clarification: my ishue was never with the guidelines of a contest. but with the image re size function not being available. and that the forum should be upgraded to include that. this conversation just started in a contest thread but is not related to the contests guidlines but to the forums ishues. we did touch on other ishues so that more my fault for drawing off the topic i guess.

"Max steels Jax25's gallery admin hat" pew.."that's some bad hat harry" Razz

Deamon: if the site has that much of a limited bandwidth then it should be looked at for upgrading. thou with the recent activity fall off, that may not be advisable or necessary and still be able to do such an upgrade.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:03 pm

MaxumX wrote:
Clarification: my ishue was never with the guidelines of a contest. but with the image re size function not being available. and that the forum should be upgraded to include that. this conversation just started in a contest thread but is not related to the contests guidlines but to the forums ishues. we did touch on other ishues so that more my fault for drawing off the topic i guess.

"Max steels Jax25's gallery admin hat" pew.."that's some bad hat harry" Razz

Deamon: if the site has that much of a limited bandwidth then it should be looked at for upgrading. thou with the recent activity fall off, that may not be advisable or necessary and still be able to do such an upgrade.

Maxum, I fear you miss the point, I wasn't referring to the site's bandwidth, we're in a server centre, the site can serve whatever it needs, and pretty much as fast as it needs.

I was referring to average Joe-User, and their Bandwidth.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:20 pm

Sorry, I thought that the discussion was in relation to the contest guidelines since it was in the contest thread...and it's a discussion that has been had many times before. It gets my panties in a bunch every time.

*grabs back her hat* Mine!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1