**Entries for Theme Contest 23 - Myth and Legend**
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 106

Re: Suprize!
Posted on Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:15 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

MaxumX wrote:
(sorry img w/s tags not working with DB)

MaxumX wrote:
(again bbcode resize tags not working.)

Max, it isn't BBCode that isn't working. What's causing this is that Dropbox is not an image hosting site. It is a backup storage and file syncing site. You can only share links to photos with Dropbox, unlike with image hosting sites where you are able to upload the photos to a forum.

As it stands now, when I put the voting thread together for the this contest, I will not be able to put up pictures of your entries. I will only be able to post a link. Sad Please use an image hosting site that allows you to upload pictures of your wonderful entries to this contest entry thread.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:59 pm

MaxumX wrote:
okay i liked the first one so, had to make a hydra to go with it.

(again bbcode resize tags not working.)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32411059/2013-11-22%2015.05.23.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32411059/2013-11-22%2015.06.04.jpg

Gl all..out!

BBCode implementation in phpBB2 does not include resize functionality... I have not coded it in for a specific reason, as well, let me explain...

In point(ish) form:
Images bigger than about 800x600 break the "layout" for the majority of web users... Hence my CSS auto-scroll workaround for images wider than this, to keep the forum design intact.

Bigger images are generally over 100kb, and thus are un-uploadable to the MAIL gallery. (And also against the Gallery Contest guidelines)

Basically, the entire site is designed around a 100kb image downloading quickly and being very low on a users overhead...

Implementing any form of Javascript/CSS "resize" would still require the user to download the full size image before their browser "resized" it... Which (IMHO) sort of defeats the design. Razz

tl;dr: I just maintain the design integrity of the site, I can't really control your content, but please govern yourselves accordingly Very Happy

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:15 am

it don't defeat the design at all. it a usefull tool for areas like this one. we are not posing to the gallery here. we are hosting off site. in a off site host i don't want a bunch of little images clogging up my library. i want my full size quality image that i can link to. if i was posting to the gallery it would be diffrent i would resize it as to the gallery guidlines.

the 100k image size for "low user overhead" is archaic, 10-12 years ago that was fine but with modern speeds and devices this limit could be raised significantly.

i do agree with the 800x600 (or 1024x768 for modern monitors) size for the forum but that is why a resize function is needed.

a simple server side resizer could be implmented to keep the 'framework' from breaking. and allow users to see the hole pic with out scrolling over a tinny window. and because they are server side, only the smaller resized image is sent to the user.

we'll continue this convo somewhere else, give these people back the thread..Razz

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:06 am

MaxumX wrote:
we'll continue this convo somewhere else, give these people back the thread..Razz

Sure thing Very Happy
http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=18425

Submissions: 8

Posted on Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:01 am

MaxumX would you mind sharing how you made the wings??

My Hubby thinks those are awesome! Well Me too of course, and my Boys.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:32 am

I made this mermaid key fob today out of 16swg 3/16" 1/4" and 5/16" machine cut stainless steel and two small scales. alors voila. btw the thing on top of her head is a bubble or shakra or something she doesnt have two heads

Submissions: 46

Posted on Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:08 pm || Last edited by Catweazle on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

The Egyptian god Horus

Wire: lacquered copper and iron wire
WD: ~ 0.5 mm
ID: 1.8 mm
Ringcount:3000 (60 rows à 50 rings)

Curriculum vitae of Horus.

Maille Code V2.0 T6.1 R5.2 Ep Fe4.1 MBz Wghm Cwec G0.4-1.8 I1.2-7.0 N35 Pdsa Dacdjs Xg86t13w2 S03

Submissions: 100

Posted on Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:48 am || Last edited by djgm on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Great inlay Catweazle, very historically accurate.

Submissions: 61

Posted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:39 pm

That is so beautiful, Catweazle. Uber

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 2

Posted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:55 pm

Dragons appear in many myths and legends. These particular dragons were inspired by a fantasy author's take on dragons. Robin Hobb's Rain Wilds Chronicles tell of newly hatched dragons being sea serpents that travel the seas in a "Tangle" until they are large enough to swim upriver to cocoon themselves for their re-emergence as full dragons.

Behold, a tangle of sea serpent hatch-lings:

The body is scaled box chain. The tail and tongue is 2-2 chain.
Each dragon is:
19 small scales
76 18g 3/16"
3 16g 1/4"

All rings are anodized aluminum.
Scales:
Black, gold, silver, red, green, blue, purple.
Rings:
Black, black ice, gold, green, lavender, purple, red, sky blue.

They are each 6" long and meant to be key chains. The 1/4" ring on the end of the tongue is to attach the serpent to the key ring.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:20 am

Oh man oh man oh man. An Egyptian mythology entry immediately followed by a Robin Hobb entry?

BEST. CONTEST. EVER.

Eda and El in a tangle, how the heck am I supposed to decide who to vote for?!

Posted on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:11 am

I bet Megan (Robin) would love to see those serpents. They're neat! I have a simple diadem entry but I have to figure out the image hosting. I promise to share soon!

Edit: Here is the image, please let me know if anyone experiences any technical difficulties. It is an aluminum petal maille diadem inspired by the Greek Goddess Luna.

Submissions: 46

Posted on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:48 am

My original post with the picture and background information of Horus (Curriculum Vitae of Hours) has been censored by DL. He did this to keep the peace in this forum. He feared that some people could be offended by the additional information. So he had the best intentions for this forum.

Well, ... read it, read it again, think about it, read it again, think about it again. If you have the need to make a comment about it, send me a pm or an email.
Please do not use this thread for it.

Maille Code V2.0 T6.1 R5.2 Ep Fe4.1 MBz Wghm Cwec G0.4-1.8 I1.2-7.0 N35 Pdsa Dacdjs Xg86t13w2 S03

Submissions: 549

Posted on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:08 pm

I liked it better when the info was in the post (the first two paragraphs of what's on the page linked to). Part of this contest, for me at least, is to learn about the myth and legend of the entry presented. The information didn't seem to be offensive, just informative. Thanks for providing that link, Catweazle.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:33 pm

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
I liked it better when the info was in the post (the first two paragraphs of what's on the page linked to). Part of this contest, for me at least, is to learn about the myth and legend of the entry presented. The information didn't seem to be offensive, just informative. Thanks for providing that link, Catweazle.

I actually have to question how informative it really is--I've sent a pm to Catweazle asking where he got the information, since I've not come across those claims in my (albeit minimal) study of Egyptian mythology. That said, it's pretty cool info if it does turn out to be accurate. Mythology is fun Very Happy

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 5. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next