Submissions: 22

Posted on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:48 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Wow! Just...wow.....

www.melodytallon.com

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:18 am

Pretty sure I'm coming up on the home stretch of my project(at least the stage I'm going to submit for the contest), but time is looking kind of tight. I know it says thing must be submitted BEFORE the deadline, but I want to double check that the sixth is the last day and I can't aim for the seventh instead.

P.S. I don't know what to submit it under either. Either it is/uses a particular weave without submissions or it's a new thing. I hope you guys can help with that once you see it.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:12 am

TheMuffinmaster wrote:
Pretty sure I'm coming up on the home stretch of my project(at least the stage I'm going to submit for the contest), but time is looking kind of tight. I know it says thing must be submitted BEFORE the deadline, but I want to double check that the sixth is the last day and I can't aim for the seventh instead.

The deadline for entries is at the end of Monday, Oct. 7 at midnight (EST). That's when I will close this entry thread and open the voting thread shortly after that. You have a little more time. Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 100

Posted on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:26 am

I was trying to stabilize Doomsday with less than ideal links and ended up with this. The Doomsday part is the bottom edge in purple and orange

i used the middle part of Doomsday though i think that alone might go by another name,,then going up Crotalus connection followed by Oops, then Cobra / Hinge up the narrow neck to Rattler's Back for the rim. the bottom is graduated 4in1 to a queen ring. oh and the flowers are Universal Triangle. i used trl 16swg 5/16" AA and 3/16" BA for the graduation of 4in1 to the queen ring.

Edited to include picture of entry to follow contest rules and more details. ~ lorraine

Posted on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:14 am

I like the blue. TRL AA?

What are the other patterns? Looks like something along the lines of HP sheet/viperscale and something else I recognize but can't put a name to.

Regardless of the answer, this does bring to mind the question of whether 2/3 of the piece have to fit the theme.

Posted on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:24 am

TheMuffinmaster wrote:
I like the blue. TRL AA?

What are the other patterns? Looks like something along the lines of HP sheet/viperscale and something else I recognize but can't put a name to.

Regardless of the answer, this does bring to mind the question of whether 2/3 of the piece have to fit the theme.

"Entries must be at least 2/3 maille woven within the time frame of the contest. The remaining 1/3 can be any maille previously woven or any non-maille." Generally, whether the piece fits the theme is decided by votes.

Also, any concerns about entries should be brought up in private with the contest organizer. Rule 6.

@djgm: any more information you would like to add to your entry would be appreciated.

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:38 am

Strictly speaking, I wasn't concerned about any of the entries(except in the sense that mine might lose to them). One of them simply got me thinking about something else: clarifying the purpose of the contest theme.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:51 am

is cool bro,, i used the middle part of Doomsday though i think that alone might go by another name,,then going up Crotalus connection followed by Oops, then Cobra / Hinge up the narrow neck to Rattler's Back for the rim. the bottom is graduated 4in1 to a queen ring. oh and the flowers are Universal Triangle. i used trl 16swg 5/16" AA and 3/16" BA for the graduation of 4in1 to the queen ring.

Posted on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:17 am

My second entry:

Triumvirate

Sterling silver and gold-filled wire wrapped 30mm x 40mm lapis lazuli cab with a sterling silver and gold-filled Triumvirate 'Y' connector. (Once I find my sticky note w/ the ring particulars I'll add them.)

Posted on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:40 am

Well now, it would be unfitting for me to sit yet another contest out, especially considering I was the one who requested this theme. I have pulled out the stops for my entry one again.
Haket, I see your Tri-Orbtwist and raise you one Hoberman's Monster.

Bigger than a softball and still growing with no end in sight, this is made with TRL 19.5 gauge aluminum wire, wrapped around a 1/4" mandrel. It looks different from another angle, but I couldn't figure how to fit a second picture in the same image without making them both really small. Resizing and exporting it made it fuzzy enough as it is.

So I don't really know how to classify this thing as far as weaves go. Does it count as a new one? Is it a design using several different weaves I made up? Does it go under one of the hourglass entries since that's what I developed them from? I'm confident it fits the theme, in any case. I just seem to recall something about needing to make a corresponding gallery entry, which would require this information.

Added description:
Artefacts wrote:
I'm confused about the Muffinmaster's Hoberman's Monster: is it a lot of single units joined together, or "is it a design using several different weaves [he] made up" (as he says) - if so, does that fit the criteria? If it's from single units, what is the unit?
Sorry, I'm having trouble working it out.....

TheMuffinmaster wrote:
Certainly it includes many different objects. To be honest, I didn't even use one single weave of which I was already aware while designing this. After some moderately thorough research, I conclude the closest thing to an existing weave in here after Hourglass Tetrahedron(the core of the ball) would be the Cuboctahedron Atomic Bomb, and I don't even know for sure that any of those are in here. Most of what appears to be this(a cube, basically) are actually circles of squares capped with pentagons or hexagons rather than more squares. It neither have any gallery submissions anyway.
As far as I recall, the whole thing is made up of those triangular units I fashioned from hourglass units that were too loose. I thought that was the most likely to have been discovered by someone else, but I haven't found it in the existing weaves. You can also see dodecahedrons(which are like Hourglass Dodecahedrons with all the units flipped 90 degrees onto their sides) and maybe the unusual unit made of three pentagons on one side and a hexagon on the other sandwiching a ring of alternating squares and pentagons. I think that covers everything, and as far as I can tell none of those that already exist have gallery submissions, which means it qualifies several times over.

Artefacts wrote:
Wow - okay, I think that answers my questions pretty well! I assumed the weave/s would have to be in the weave database here to fit the criteria, but I realise that it doesn't actually state that. Thanks for the clarification Smile

This is further description of TheMuffinmaster's contest entry. All descriptions should be in the initial entry, but this thread was closed so I added it here.

Lorraine

Posted on Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:56 am

My last minute entry!

Some Drillbit earrings.
Stainless steel rings. 22awg (.65mm)/3.0mm with an AR of 4.77.

Lorraine's Chains

Jump to:  
Page 9 of 9. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9