Persian 4 in 1 Sheet or Half Persian 2 in 1 Sheet 4?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 50

Posted on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:20 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Taxonomy? Maybe that's where my thoughts about seams and stitches need to go. I've gotten those concepts working fairly well for basic things, but we've got some pretty strange stuff in the database.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 100

Posted on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:13 am

i find the chaotic nature of the fanciful and cutesy names helpful but maybe it's just the random association part of my brain works better than the objective reasoning portion. I do feel there should be more consistency but I think the variations in the patterns defy logical explanation. that is except for the proof in the pudding it'self.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:33 am

I like technical names for weaves. Then people can name their designs anything they want. (An AKA is fine too.) It would be nice if they know what the technical name is in the first place though. But a lot of people who don't understand weave theory name things with nonsensical names and don't bother to understand chainmaille theory.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 244

Posted on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:19 am

Okay, I'm a bit late to the party again but here goes.

Both of those tutorials are for persian 4-1 sheet, which technically could be described as half persian 2-1 sheet 4 but the weave with that name is not the same weave.

Half persian 2-1 sheet 4 is actually a persian-european hybrid that's been named in a confusing manner. The back side of those sheets are all euro 4-1 linkages connecting the chains together. You'll notice that none of them are laid flat, that's because the weave always tends to curl up into a tube due to asymmetry.

www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Submissions: 574

Posted on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:00 pm

I updated the links for the Persian 4 in 1 Sheet tutorials.

I attempted Persian 4 in 1 Sheet (Eye Method), but ended up with a jumbled mess. I then tried Persian 4 in 1 Sheet (Flip Method) with success. It was still very challenging, which I think had a little bit to do with my chosen AR of 6.0. I'll likely produce another sample at a smaller AR. I love the aesthetic of the sample picture.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 50

Posted on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:19 pm

lorenzo wrote:
Both of those tutorials are for persian 4-1 sheet, which technically could be described as half persian 2-1 sheet 4 but the weave with that name is not the same weave.

Half persian 2-1 sheet 4 is actually a persian-european hybrid that's been named in a confusing manner. The back side of those sheets are all euro 4-1 linkages connecting the chains together. You'll notice that none of them are laid flat, that's because the weave always tends to curl up into a tube due to asymmetry.

From the images, based on my understanding of the theory behind the two weave families, I'm seeing the Persian-Euro linkage hybridism you describe in both weaves.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2