Beadlock Spiral 2 in 1
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 61

Posted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:29 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

djgm wrote:
I know im just splitting hairs here but are you using all the chains ED made why not pick just one? there is enough information there for an article.

I'll leave that up to Nárrína to decide.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:46 am

by all means,,I'm not trying to get under your skin btw hope you arnt offended just putting in my two links. here is a link to what i made yesterday if you still want to see it http://www.flickr.com/photos/68156782@N02/9681801387/

Posted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:26 am

djgm wrote:
here is a link to what i made yesterday if you still want to see it http://www.flickr.com/photos/68156782@N02/9681801387/

Ooh, that looks nice. Reminds me of the experiment which I did with doubled large links (but only a single small link). Sometimes Kinging a weave can make it look twice as nice.

Posted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:47 am

thanks,,I like the look of kinged stuff too, I find it fills the four corners of a link and contributes substantially to stability, only down side is everything gets chunky.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:48 am

Hehe - don't hurry so much. I've just experimented a bit with, and mostly wove just half a dozen of pattern repetitions each, before changing over to the next variant, in one experiment chain, as I'm used to weave. So no 'upgrown' sample chains exist yet.

Besides: I WILL be able to provide a reference photo - but NOT to be TAKEN by you for the submission (if not OFFERED by me, as already happened for a handful of weave submissions).

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 50

Posted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:47 pm

djgm wrote:
there is enough information there for an article.

Weave entries ought to have as much information as possible.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:12 pm

I don't know about ought, I just like things that are more concise. I actually struggled with this issue with my weave submissions in the past, to me a weave entry is just a picture, I glean everything from that when I learn weaves, I always end up submitting with little text and Narina insists it needs more, and I have no idea what to wright most the time.

Posted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:09 pm

From top to bottom:
Centerlock Spiral with one ring
Centerlock Spiral with two rings
Centerlock alternating ('flat') with two rings (left) and one (right)
Centerlock alternating with lower-AR large rings.

All sample chains use 16swg (1.6mm) 1/8" BA sawcut (AR of 2.05) as small rings; the upper three ones use 16swg (1.6mm) 1/4" (AR of 4.2) as large ones; the bottom sample uses the same wire coiled on 3/16" mandrel, for an AR of 3.14. Note the latter's disorder of small rings - while they stack, their stacking pattern is not stable! BTW: The twisted-stacked version was NOT continuously weavable, at least not at the chosen ARs.

Discussion: In fact all these variants base on a simple 2 in 1 Chain (2-2-2), that normally can be twisted by a large angle range. Orbiting the ring intersections with small rings restricts this ability to twist to a smaller angle range, resulting in a twisted or straight basis chain, depending on chosen orbiting rings' weaving orientation. Use of paired, tripled or more orbiting rings serves to tighten up, and limiting the possible twist angles further, to end in a more orderly overall impression of the result.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

-'me

Posted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:25 pm

djgm wrote:
I don't know about ought, I just like things that are more concise. I actually struggled with this issue with my weave submissions in the past, to me a weave entry is just a picture, I glean everything from that when I learn weaves, I always end up submitting with little text and Narina insists it needs more, and I have no idea what to wright most the time.

Just an image, without much teext, is something that ends up in the Gallery, where it imho belongs, if it's not appended by the proper weave documentation. See that weaves are defined by constructive, geometric principles, and these have to be documented as far as possible, if something is submitted to the WEAVE database, as in the end weaves shall be rebuilt by others, and these shall be helped as good as possible to be successful.

-ZiLi-

-'me

Submissions: 42

Posted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:26 pm

djgm wrote:
I actually struggled with this issue with my weave submissions in the past, to me a weave entry is just a picture, I glean everything from that when I learn weaves, I always end up submitting with little text and Narina insists it needs more, and I have no idea what to wright most the time.

djgm if it help you out think of it this way. The picture of the weave is the picture of the completed model on a model kit, the rings are the pieces of the model and the weave description are the directions to put together the model. By providing as detailed a description of the weave construction as possible you allow other people to be able to recreate the weave that is pictured.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 50

Posted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:03 pm

MusicMan wrote:
By providing as detailed a description of the weave construction as possible you allow other people to be able to recreate the weave that is pictured.

And that is why I say "ought". Frequently the picture is not enough to fully recreate the weave. A good description of the construction goes a long way towards helping others recreate the weave, which is, to me, one of the purposes of the weave database.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:42 am

think of it this way,,a weave is a puzzle, all you need is the front of the box and all the pieces. I do see how some words to go with are nice to complete the package but I personally don't find the net of cudos linking, justification for reviving antiquated terms as names and trigonometry all that accessible.

Posted on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:10 am

djgm wrote:
think of it this way,,a weave is a puzzle, all you need is the front of the box and all the pieces. I do see how some words to go with are nice to complete the package but I personally don't find the net of cudos linking, justification for reviving antiquated terms as names and trigonometry all that accessible.

Maille is more as a puzzle with prepunched, fitting pieces. As one has to get the pieces elsewhere, as only the box lid exists and not the content of it, it's fine to have the description around, what puzzle pieces should be got to be successful, and how they're mounted. Note that in that regard even IKEA is easier.

So much for a comparison...

-ZiLi-

-'me

Posted on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:35 am

djgm wrote:

Then don't read the weave descriptions, if you don't like them.

The weaves database isn't a collection of brain-teasers for an intellectual olympics. You can use it that way if you really want to, but its purpose is to catalogue weaves like one would catalogue crochet stitches - for the purpose of being able to reproduce them as easily as possible. Go and look at a good stitch encyclopedia sometime - each entry will have a little history/background, a photograph of a sample swatch, a diagram, and instructions in the technical shorthand used in crochet. It isn't at all unreasonable to want similar information in a weave entry.

Posted on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:50 am

no you are right it is not unreasonable to expect such information. as for not reading the weave text attachments, I don't.

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3