The elfweave mastery project
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 0

The elfweave mastery project
Posted on Thu May 08, 2008 4:05 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello, I was experimenting yesterday and got a strange idea in my head.

European 4-1 (and to a lesser extent, 6-1) are by far the most common weave used for armour. If you look around you can find many tutorials on how to do things like rosettes to start a coif, right angle joints for shoulder seams, expansions, contractions and the like.

My favorite weave, even over the vanilla European family, by far is elfweave and where the AR allows it, Tiffany. My current plan as a first big project is an elfweave shirt. When I looked for tutorials or even pictures of bent seams and expansions for elfweave I found nothing. So I though hmm, I must be breaking new ground here and got experimenting.

Long story short, it works! I managed to make some really need stuff, namely:
- Seamless pattern expansion/Contraction join for Tiffany for both vertical and horizontal directions.
- Right angle seam (weave bends 90 degrees) between Tiffany and Elfweave.
- Rosettes and extended (into a big hexagon) rosettes of elfweave and tiffany.
-some other half complete stuff I am still working on.
I can get you guys some pictures if you want, but that will require borrowing a camera.

Now I figured that the more minds we have looking at this challenge from different angles, the more innovation we can get out of this idea, so in that regard I have a proposal.

The goals of the Elfweave mastery project:
1. To discover and name all possible uses, variants and patterns of Elfweave.
2. To discover all special patterns, seams and joints required to tailor elfweave into a shirt and form it into other objects like bags.
3. To create and archive tutorials and picture records of all of the above. Perhaps we can gather enough information for elfweave to merit its own section.

So what can you do to participate?
- First thing we need is a place to coordinate. This forum should work fine for us and will be used to discuss the project and list our progress and to-do list in different threads.

Secondly, we need that to-do list. The list is going to be massive and we will be adding stuff to it over time. A small part of the list would look something like this:
elfweave AR4 -> elfweave AR5 Vert/Hori
elfweave to euro 4-1
elfweave to persion 3-1

And so on, if a new weave is discovered then this list will grow exponentially as it would open up many new things we could do. Once a task is completed that is not the end of it as multiple variants are always possible. To avoid flooding the archive and overlap, I suggest that all pictures, tutorials and the like be submitted here for observation and a little peer review.
---

So, does all that sound like fun? If we can drum up enough interest I will donate some time to organize and update this group project. And before I forget. Kudos to the creator of elfweave whom I have never met. Lets get weaving.

Posted on Wed May 21, 2008 10:23 pm

Whups, due to getting the flu, (in the middle of may no less, where the heck did all the sun go) this project will be on hold. When I recover and get some time I will attempt to draft up the first list.

Submissions: 74

Posted on Thu May 22, 2008 4:21 am

sounds interesting. I be willing to help.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Posted on Thu May 22, 2008 4:27 am

I have done elfweave to Euro 4in1. It's a very simple place to start.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu May 22, 2008 6:38 am

This sounds like an amazing project and I would like to do whatever I can to encourage you to work on it.

This is the kind of thing MAIL was started to foster and facilitate.

I was going to try to write more comprehensively about Euro 4-1 back in the day, for basically the same thing, but I never ended up finishing it. Ended up putting more time into figuring out improvements to MAIL.

Hopefully if we get the proper infrastructure in place, this will become even easier.

Posted on Tue May 27, 2008 2:15 am

Here ya go, elfsheet into euro 4in1. 18g 3/16" dirty dirty copper.

Posted on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:12 pm

The very first thing we need to do is to make a unified article structure on the construction of elfweave chains and elfweave sheets. This should be as detailed as we can make it without being confusing.

After we have that we can build on it by adding subcategories such as transitions. For these sub-articles, instead of listing step by step instructions which will take up a lot of room and effort, we can simply reference previous articles in a modular fashion.

Question is, what must be included in the starting main articles? I have so far:
1. Step by step instructions with text and pictures.
2. Multiple techniques such as "stitching" and speed weaving.
3. A gallery of different AR sizes, 4 and 5 being the most common (AR before springback)
4. Any and all tips and insight we can include from personal experience.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:02 am

Want to see this go somewhere, anyone working on it still?

Brittany

Posted on Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:43 am

I would love to get it done but I have severe limits of my free time as of late.

Posted on Sat May 29, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi guys. I know I dropped off the radar years ago. And truth be told I still don't have the time to hammer this project out.

But that is not to say I haven't been busy. I come bearing gifts!

Behold. The Tiffany horizontal expansion!

Aaaand the vertical one.

Elfweave/Tiffany expansions come in two types. This one is the "innie" version.

My first attempt at an elfweave rosette (top). Took me a while but I eventually did figure it out. (bottom)

Had a lot of fun making these. If there is a demand I could try to find the time to make some tutorials. But even if I have to wait until I'm old and grey I really want to get this project done. Someday...

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:05 pm

ooh! tutorial please!

Submissions: 6

Posted on Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:46 pm

Yup, dyed in the wool Elfweave lover her. Tut's when you get time!

Posted on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:55 pm

oh yes, pleeeeeeeeeeeese tuts!!! Nothing drives me crazier than when you see an awesome looking new weave with no tut to go with it Sad

eadig

Submissions: 100

Posted on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:15 pm

I know this thread is ancient but there is this on the sight for elfweave expansions. http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=10160

Posted on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:02 pm

would like tutorial of elf mail round would be neat to do a coif that way

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1