Recent MAIL Slowness/HTTP 500 Server Errors
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> M.A.I.L. Help

Submissions: 20

Recent MAIL Slowness/HTTP 500 Server Errors
Posted on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:14 pm || Last edited by Daemon_Lotos on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

-----
While our hosting company are still dicks... This specific problem, was finally tracked down (with ZERO help from our hosts, who suggested that the Login script was being called too often) to a "Scraper" bot basically acting as a Denial of Service attack...
-----

Hey Folks,

This just in... The recent spat of server slowness and HTTP 500 Server Errors has finally been solved... It's basically our hosting company being dicks... (For lack of a better term.)

DownTownHost, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to implement "Resource Limiting" whereby, if a site spikes in resource usage, the limiter clamps down, and starts shedding data and traffic shards left and right (like a killer in a slasher flick)...

The net result for you, the user, is that you likely see pages that take FOREVER to load, or an HTTP 500 Server Error... Both of which tend to lead to the user spamming the F5-Refresh key... (Hey, I'm guilty of it too! Razz)

The long and short of it... This isn't cool, but it's also not likely to go away... That's a problem...
I've got a few messages out to Blaise, and we'll put our heads together and see what we can come up with.

It's not exactly been a huge deal this month, mostly a few hard RAM hits... But today it's showing really badly for some reason... Heavy heavy Server CPU Usage, which is smacking the limit repeatedly...

I've got a few silent trackers running today, archiving data for me, to see if I can figure out why it's quite so bad... I'm suspecting a rogue web spider, but it could be anything, really...

Long and short of it, our userbase shouldn't be held at the mercy of (in my personal opinion) ridiculously restrictive resource limits.
Don't list a server with "24000Mb RAM Minimum" on your "Features" page, and then cap our memory usage at 1Gb... That's just dirty.

</RANT>

Submissions: 50

Posted on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks for the heads up, DL. I was wondering. Hadn't quite got to my threshold where I was ready to mention it, though Smile

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:48 pm

This just in: I apologize to the hosting company... While their resource limits ARE stupidly low, and we WERE being unfairly limited...

The cause, was essentially a DoS level attack by some IDIOT running WebReaper in an attempt to download the ENTIRE bloody website...
Offending user's IP address is now banned, and I've blocked WebReaper via .htaccess.

Submissions: 5

Posted on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:43 pm

/Levi hugs his .htaccess files.

Thanks for looking into it DL.

Not much you can do about nubs with bots, unless you happen to be in control of the firewall and even then you can only do so much. I guess we can hope he has a static IP that he plans on keeping or did you go ape and block his whole ISPs range?

I'm surprised to see a firm monthly bandwidth number published over at DTH. Out of curiosity what sort of numbers is the site generating per month? I can see bandwidth being an issue and forum queries causing CPU spikes but disk space shouldn't been an issue and hosted email accounts beyond a hand full I wouldn't expect are needed.

I've used GD for years myself and while anything I'm doing is much smaller than this site they've been pretty good overall. They, like any host have strange issues, like stats disabling themselves if not checked for a month and my econo accounts perform better than my premium accounts on most days...

After 20 years of doing IT, I know sometimes you just don't want to have to explain or get into it again, so if this is a can of worms you'd rather not open right now, then just say so and I'll put away the can opener of curiosity.

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:34 am

Our hosting company is still DICKS! Just sayin'... Rolling Eyes

Is? Are? Dicks?

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 22

Posted on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:09 pm

This is still occurring, at least to me. I can't use the search function or access the 'Submission Guidelines' page, and I get an error when I attempt to submit a weave: "Could Not Copy: Dragontailvar.JPG. Unknown Error".
Do I just have keep trying and hope I hit a window when no-one else is accessing the site? (I'm not at all techie, so I may easily have the wrong end of the stick).

www.melodytallon.com

Posted on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:40 am

Artefacts wrote:
I can't use the search function or access the 'Submission Guidelines' page, and I get an error when I attempt to submit a weave: "Could Not Copy: Dragontailvar.JPG. Unknown Error".

Same problem here.

Posted on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:44 am

Actually, just to be accurate, the 'Search: Site' function comes up with an error 500 page, but the 'Search: Forum' function does seem to work - well, the page comes up - I didn't actually try to search the forum.

www.melodytallon.com

Posted on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:18 pm

Sounds like they've done some damage to our CGI Scripts... I'll see what I can do ASAP

Posted on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:28 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you Daemon! They are all working now and I can submit some weaves. Cheers! Very Happy

www.melodytallon.com

Posted on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1