Wallet Chains Redux
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 61

Wallet Chains Redux
Posted on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:58 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

What weaves are best for wallet/key/watch chains?

This appears to be a popular and frequently asked question:

So I thought I'd summarize a bit.

Looking at those threads, the favourite weaves for wallet chains appear to be:

Also suggested were:

However, I also gathered from those interesting posts, that wallet chains don't have to be limited to just those classics. A good weave for a wallet chain has the following characteristics:

• It's a chain (not a sheet or a band) (obvious, but still worth stating)
  • Does not have a single-point-of-failure; in other words, no weaves which have sections with only a single link in them.
  • Have a good trade-off between rings with low AR (low-AR rings are stronger) and rings with high AR with lots of rings linked inside them (more rings give redundancy in case one ring breaks).
  • Flexible, not stiff. (Note that some of the examples above are more flexible in one direction than another.)
  • Slinky rather than lacy; weaves which have links which stick out from the main part of the weave are liable to catch on things, which one does not want.

Given those characteristics, I've been trawling through the weaves database for additional weaves that look like they could be good for wallet chains.

This is what I've found so far:

There are doubtless more, but this should be a nice list to start with.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Incredibly useful, thankyou!!

Submissions: 28

Posted on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:38 pm

*cough*

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 100

Posted on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:14 pm

i would be inclined to think the criteria for a wallet chain would be a chain connected to a wallet. when it comes to what is "good" I'm more an at least it's not curd chain kind of guy. also here is a link to Universal Figure 8 Chain may it serve you well.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:03 pm

djgm wrote:
i would be inclined to think the criteria for a wallet chain would be a chain connected to a wallet.

Not if it catches, loosens, weakens, doesn't twist, or needs rearranging to look elegant. Hence, a list of suggested weaves is a good springboard imo.

By curd chain do you mean curb? That is a boring chain style I think.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:36 pm

That really would make a nice article kerravonsen! As a gallery admin, I also can't pass up the chance to point out that one of the tags in the gallery is "wallet" and that you can finds lots of pictures of different wallet chains, many of them with ring sizes. Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 50

Posted on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:50 pm

Yeah, I've done a couple of Hoodoo wallet chains. Mine is stainless and bronze, sold a stainless only one.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 100

Posted on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:50 am

here is a pic of my current wallet chain http://www.flickr.com/photos/68156782@N02/9186878385/ sorta a Japanese Bullseye deal but a bit diffrent. it has a single link connection but the single link is a 2.4mm wire 1/4" link so i don't think that link is going to give. it would twist i guess but i have it on a swivel clip so that's not an issue. I guess it could be considred lacy but i doesn't ever catch on anything even with the ugly pinch cuts. oh and yes i meant curb chain

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1