M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 16

Posted on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:49 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Yeah, I will get them at some point Wink

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:58 pm

I just tried Viperscale tonight, used Phong's tutorial, no worries. Definitely recommend! (Can't decide best AR though. Phong's mentions 6.6 but I did a 5.8 as well. Different looks but I think both work.)

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:44 pm

calyx wrote:
I just tried Viperscale tonight, used Phong's tutorial, no worries. Definitely recommend! (Can't decide best AR though. Phong's mentions 6.6 but I did a 5.8 as well. Different looks but I think both work.)

A little secret about Phong's tuts...
<.<
>.>
He doesn't make his own rings and uses rings from TRL and didn't have a pair of caliper UNTIL I SENT HIM SOME!
<.<
>.>
So sometimes his ring sizes and ARs are off a little bit. DON'T TELL HIM I SAID THAT!

I really like an AR of about 6.0 for Viperscale and 5.8 is close enough to 6 to look very nice. Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:58 pm

I finally got Viperscale and the alternating half Persian variant (HP 3-1 with 2 ring sizes) love them both.

I tried the [weave=Lotus] flower and the Helm Orb the other day and couldn't get either to work right, so I gave up.

Dragonscale still bugs me, but I haven't tried in a while.

I tried Candy Cane Cord the other day, but it didn't come out right.

And I was trying to make a chain of Moorish Rose not too long ago, but that didn't work for me.

Another one is [weave=Snowflake Unit], but I think I just didn't have the right ring sizes for that one.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:39 am

Moorish rose works much better as a sheet Very Happy

http://corvuschainmaille.ning.com/xn/detail/2032108:Topic:150664

but the sphere is probly my favorite

http://corvuschainmaille.ning.com/xn/detail/2032108:Photo:130626

http://corvuschainmaille.ning.com/xn/detail/2032108:Photo:108453

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:58 pm

I developed a Moorish Rose method of my own while getting the fantastic weave under my belt. The tutorial on its page didn't quite cut it for me.

So what's frustrated me?
My persistent frustration is the provided ARs on any tight/unit weave. You know, since they're always wrong. Rarely do I manage to make any of these and still have them look good.

Usually even a weave without a tutorial is easy to figure out after a quick examination of the image provided. My greatest struggle to date was with a weave with plenty of pictures and tutorials, the deceptively simple, merciless fiend, Hoodoo Sheet. Its constantly shifting rings, collapsing triangles, and inconsistent stiffness sought to dismantle my efforts at beautiful symmetry at every turn. Conquering this beast was one of my proudest moments, yet even now I must be vigilant in watching the ends of the sheet I created, for any unchecked anomaly can relieve pressure on rings deeper in the piece and spread chaos like a plague.

My current problem is the small, distant, single-angle picture for Universal Wreath. Really having a hard time seeing what it's made of. It is cruel to present something so delicious-looking, yet so hard to reach for all the wrong reasons.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:05 pm

TheMuffinmaster wrote:
I developed a Moorish Rose method of my own while getting the fantastic weave under my belt. The tutorial on its page didn't quite cut it for me.

You should submit your method as a tutorial! There are many ways to make a weave and having more tuts is a good thing.

TheMuffinmaster wrote:
So what's frustrated me?
My persistent frustration is the provided ARs on any tight/unit weave. You know, since they're always wrong. Rarely do I manage to make any of these and still have them look good.

When we get a weave submission, the only ARs we have to go on are what we are given by the submitter. Sometimes those are incorrect. Unit weaves are a can of worms. The rings for units generally need to be at or close to their minimum in order for the unit to be stable. Making or finding rings that really are the exact same size as the person who made the original unit is not easy. Many units are not really "weaves" but carefully constructed designs where people have spent much time figuring out rings that work for only one size of the unit. And people frequently submit units using multiple wire sizes. That usually makes scaling the unit up or down a matter of trial and error because the ARs will not be valid unless the differences between wire sizes are scaled exactly the same way as the original. That's close to impossible, short of drawing your own wire, because the measured difference between wire sizes is not consistent.

If you make a weave and find that you prefer another AR, you can always submit a picture to the gallery listing ring sizes, ARs, and materials used. That is a great way to add valuable information! You can also post in Weave AR Information Alterations. Please remember that "ideal" ARs are very subjective and that "minimum" ARs are not usually changed without actual measured data to back it up.

We didn't even have the AR data field for each weave until DL gave us that option not too long ago. So that data is still being refined. You and anyone else with AR information can always help us do this. The only way the site gets better is when people add value to it.

TheMuffinmaster wrote:
Usually even a weave without a tutorial is easy to figure out after a quick examination of the image provided. My greatest struggle to date was with a weave with plenty of pictures and tutorials, the deceptively simple, merciless fiend, Hoodoo Sheet. Its constantly shifting rings, collapsing triangles, and inconsistent stiffness sought to dismantle my efforts at beautiful symmetry at every turn. Conquering this beast was one of my proudest moments, yet even now I must be vigilant in watching the ends of the sheet I created, for any unchecked anomaly can relieve pressure on rings deeper in the piece and spread chaos like a plague.

There are a few weaves like Hoodoo sheet where it is in the nature of the weave to be a bit unstable. I've had the same struggle you have had with it. Although I've never found the perfect AR that gave me satisfaction because the edges are still unstable. There are always rings that slip out of place and it drives me nuts! But I learned a lot while attempting the weave, and I'm sure you did too. That's a nice thing about the weaves. You learn a lot by trying them and looking for "the perfect ring size". Smile

TheMuffinmaster wrote:
My current problem is the small, distant, single-angle picture for Universal Wreath. Really having a hard time seeing what it's made of. It is cruel to present something so delicious-looking, yet so hard to reach for all the wrong reasons.

Maybe someone can help you with that. If you come across a problem like this, you can always start a new thread and request information. Members of MAIL are usually very helpful with requests.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:58 pm

there is this tut on MWW, maybe you've seen it, not all that clear but lays out the construction of universal wreath http://corvuschainmaille.ning.com/xn/detail/2032108:Topic:127714

Submissions: 13

Posted on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Cloudy Day is the one weave I simply can't get to work. Last time I made an attempt at it I used small rings close to the minimum AR (if correctly recalled it was 0.8mm wire wound on a 3mm mandrel, so an estimated AR of 3.8 was assumed) which made the work very finnicky (is that even a word???) and difficult to separate all the rings from eachother.

Might have a go at it another day though, currently my mailling is on the shelf for some time ahead.

"When in doubt... C4" - Jamie Hyneman

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/wpa09
My band: http://www.facebook.com/carnosus

"This is an art form, and we love to be recognized for our own work, and we'd all hope not to be confused with someone else."
- Charon, March 27, 2009

Submissions: 520

Posted on Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:47 am

Vipersheet.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it, but I couldn't get it much past Viperscale.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:48 am

lately pictures of pliers and scraps of maille have been aggravating me, is ok though i did my breathing exercises.

Posted on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:47 pm

I tried Candy Cane Cord again the other day; I still can't get it right.

I have been trying Half Persian 3 Sheet 6 in 1 off and on recently too and keep messing that up too. I just want to make a little diamond/rhombus patch for earrings.

EDIT: Or maybe it is 3 column GSG I am wanting to make? This is the photo I found that I liked -

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:10 pm

Flutter wrote:
I tried Candy Cane Cord again the other day; I still can't get it right.

I have been trying Half Persian 3 Sheet 6 in 1 off and on recently too and keep messing that up too. I just want to make a little diamond/rhombus patch for earrings.

EDIT: Or maybe it is 3 column GSG I am wanting to make? This is the photo I found that I liked -

Since GSG is two rows of Half Persian 3 Sheet 6 in 1, I'd say it really doesn't matter, they'll both annoy you Wink

Seriously though, persevere... I remember my first trials with HP3S6... It was annoying until I got the swing of it.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:44 am

I vaguely remember saying this before, but for the sake of better-safe-than-sorry, bent nose are your best friends when building HP3-1S6. However, that was with 20ga. 5/32" stainless.

These are fleeting moments within we live.
In tomorrow I die.
Unto today I live forever.

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2