Jewelry welder
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 76

Jewelry welder
Posted on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:15 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Greeting again fellow mailers,

I have yet another question (sorry for spamming the boards with topics Smile)

I've been thinking of getting a welder to make my pieces just a little bit stronger. But don't know what to look for exactly.
It will most likely be used for silver and stainless jewelry from 0.7mm up to 1.5mm
For thicker wire I wouldn't need a full weld (or any weld at all) but if it's possible it would be nice.

I have seen the new welder from TRL, Jewelry Welder (KXWelderJewelry).

But after some searching found this site but the options are overwhelming and other then needing 220V (since I live in Europe) I'm not sure what to look for.
Aliexpress.com - wholesale jewelry welder

Can anyone help me?

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:26 am

it worries me a little how he keeps telling us to close our eyes in the video for that jewelry welder. Seems like a pretty skookum littel setup though.

Posted on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:44 am

You could get a welding mask or goggles I guess. Otherwise you cold get Photokeratitis aka welder's flash.
Had to look up "skookum" but it seems to be a positive expression Smile.

Any thoughts on the question? There seems to be a device similar to the one from trl only without the plier electrode.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:01 pm

I think TRL puts alot of time into making chainmaille specific products so that would be the way I would go. I am a long time customer though so a little biased.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:21 am

So welding as opposed to soldering? Welding (as I understand it) is a process that fuses the two pieces, as opposed to soldering, which requires a piece of solder to bridge them. What's the difference between solder and flux?

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:37 am

Shine_on_girl wrote:
So welding as opposed to soldering? Welding (as I understand it) is a process that fuses the two pieces, as opposed to soldering, which requires a piece of solder to bridge them. What's the difference between solder and flux?

Flux cleans/primes the piece and allows the solder to flow.
Solder actually does the join.

Posted on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:29 pm

The arc welder fuses the material together by heating it with the small plasma/lightning bolt.
You don't add material like you do with soldering so you can use it on any metal. Steel, copper, silver, gold, any.

I think I'm just going to take a leap of faith and try to order one...

I'll let you know how it goes Smile

Submissions: 149

Posted on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:22 am

In fact one should differentiate between soldering, brazing, fusing, and welding.

Fusing is connecting WITHOUT use of a filler material, like spot welding or flame fusing. Soldering and 'normal' welding use a filler material to connect the ends. Soldering uses most times very different metals as the to be connected metal pieces; 'soft soldering' with comparably low melting points, 'hard soldering' (also known as 'brazing') uses metals with comparably high melting points, usually necessitating to use a flame for the job. If the same or very similar filler metal as the the base metal is used for brazing, this is usually also called welding; especially if not more a flame, but an electrical arc is used to do the job of melting the filler metal, and the base metal pieces are at least partiall molten up to get a good weld.

The transition between soldering, brazing, fusing, and welding are not always clearly marked off; as long as the proper method is used for a particular metal/alloy and connection job, all is ok - that counts, nothing else.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:18 am

Haha yes, I found and am intending to get the Aliexpress model when I have the spare money and intent to do some micromaille as it will be hugely cheaper than me shipping it from Canada and paying for a transformer. Might buy the $60 weld pencil from TRL as I hear it is better quality than the model's crap one.

Very interested to hear how others go with it. I hear the welds/fuses are quite good, almost invisible if done properly, though not as A class as brazing. TRL says it works up to 0.8mm, though multiple welds can be done on thicker. Someone reviewing it on their forum says it works best on finer wire than 0.8mm though, though they had just begun to play with it. Also, it will work on stainless but not as good as with argon shielding.

Oh wait, the Aliexpress link - you just have to search for the model number that TRL has on their picture of it. That's how I found the exact same thing. Need to make some grounded pliers for it.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1