Pinterest - Etiquette And Copyright Issues
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> M.A.I.L. Help

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri May 10, 2013 12:05 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi,

Could you clarify the policy of M.A.I.L re- copying pictures from this site onto that one? Pinning isn't disabled for this site and I've put several pictures up on there, giving all the info, maker's name, the name of this site etc. To me, this would seem to be good publicity, but not everyone will necessary feel the same. I can also see (now!) that each single submission is covered by the maker's copyright. The People Who Rule might want to clarify this one, further than the copyright statement?!

Roomspin

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri May 10, 2013 10:02 pm

According to copyright law and Pinterest's Terms of Use, you must be the copyright owner of the the picture to upload it. OR, you can ask the copyright owner for permission (an email is sufficient) to copy and reproduce a picture somewhere else like Pinterest.

On a personal note, I have found many of my pictures posted on Pinterest and Tumblr. No one has ever asked me for permission, so technically it is copyright infringement. However, when I find them and they link back to where they came from (either here or my website), I leave them alone. I don't mind when people do that as long as it links back to the original site I put it on. But that decision is always up to the copyright owner. You cannot assume they are okay with copying and reposting, even with attribution. However, when they simply upload something of mine that has been lifted and reposted without my permission, then there is no link back to MAIL or my site. That's when I file a DMCA takedown notice and have it taken down. I take great pride in my maille and the pictures I take. I don't want my pictures ending up where I don't know where they are. Kind of like my cats... Razz

As far as any pictures you find on MAIL are concerned, copyright law and both the policies of MAIL and Pinterest and similar sites are that you must be the copyright owner (in other words the one who took the picture), or you must have written expressed permission from the copyright owner to upload the picture. All pictures here have a user name attached to them. You should click on their profile page and get their permission before you copy and distribute anything you find here. That includes pictures and written words, such as tutorials.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sat May 11, 2013 11:26 am

There ISN'T a need for re-formulation, imho. The publishers of all images and text simply RETAIN all 'natural' rights they have anyway, and the remainder is dealt with in the intellectual property relevant national laws and international treaties. So I don't see it as MAIL's obligation to clarify something that IS clear, for people too lazy to look it up.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 20

Re: Pinterest - Etiquette And Copyright Issues
Posted on Sat May 11, 2013 8:14 pm

roomspin wrote:
...Pinning isn't disabled for this site...

It is now Coif Cool Smiley

I'm a little behind the times, I know... Probably should've caught that a year or so ago when Pinterest made the code available to block it...

That being said, I didn't know it was blockable until I googled it just now...

In a perfect world, we could trust people to follow the "You must have permission to Pin" clause of Pinterest... But in the real world, sites like Pinterest rely on that fact that people just don't understand what is and isn't free...

While it would be nice to allow users to allow or block Pinterest on an image-by-image basis, it's an awful lot of code to push through. Blocking Pinterest, on the whole, is easier...

---

I'm aware that you didn't bring this up to basically ask "Hey, could you block pinning?" but at the end of the day, after thinking this over, that's what I figure is easiest.

As with anything, if people still want to find a way to pin things, I'm sure they will... There is no way to block a determined person from doing something... But it will stop 99% of casual "Oooh, that's pretty!" pins from upsetting users that don't want their content shared.

Re: Pinterest - Etiquette And Copyright Issues
Posted on Sun May 12, 2013 9:54 pm

I'm pleased to have this clarification. Interestingly, Pinterest doesn't make anything about copyright in the least bit plain. In fact it actively encourages users to so-called re-pin from the pages of other users. Very often there is no attribution. I'll now take everything from here down!! Like most of life, its nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with confusion. Well, my life, anyway.

And I've never pinned a cat. That's just an unsubstantiated rumour!

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun May 12, 2013 10:20 pm

roomspin, as far as copyright goes... if you didn't take the picture and you want to post it somewhere, the most respectful and legal thing to do is ask permission from the copyright holder. The worst they can do is say no... or ignore you. Razz

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Sun May 12, 2013 11:05 pm

True Smile However for now I've exterminated my maille board. If its reborn, that'll be the policy.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun May 12, 2013 11:41 pm

Either way, we all learned something Very Happy

I'm not convinced Lorraine has Pinterest, but if she did, there would be Cats everywhere!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1