Mobile website
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> M.A.I.L. Help

Submissions: 2

Mobile website
Posted on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:20 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Since we are now in the age of smart phones and tablets is there a mobile version and/or app for the MAIL site? On my tablet it doesn't do the m.mailleartisans.org address like other mobile sites but it is different than my desktop view.

Just wondering if there has been any thought to this at all.

ColdChicken

Submissions: 20

Re: Mobile website
Posted on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:45 am

ColdChicken wrote:
Since we are now in the age of smart phones and tablets is there a mobile version and/or app for the MAIL site? On my tablet it doesn't do the m.mailleartisans.org address like other mobile sites but it is different than my desktop view.

Just wondering if there has been any thought to this at all.

ColdChicken

In short:

The User Agreement surrounding Content precludes our ability to publish an "App", as it would have no content... And thus be pretty useless.

As far as the mobile site goes, MAIL itself is already fairly touch friendly... I have no issues using it on my Nokia Lumia, and I've tested it on an Android and iPhone as well.
It has a few issues on my MS Surface tablet... All surrounding the way the built in browser handles (or rather, doesn't handle) the "hover" trigger, thus the menus are twitchy... I'm actively looking for a solution for this.
Touch was never designed for Hover, so I may end up moving the menus to a "Click to Open" option to accommodate this new technology.

Am I going to develop a completely different version of the site designed towards 320x240px displays? A year or two ago, I was all for it... Now I'm not so sure... It's still on my list of things to look at.

Submissions: 61

Posted on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:33 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Am I going to develop a completely different version of the site designed towards 320x240px displays? A year or two ago, I was all for it... Now I'm not so sure... It's still on my list of things to look at.

There's a lot of things that can be done with CSS without having to do a complete redesign. I particularly like the way one can have different sections in a CSS file which are only active if the viewport is a certain size.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Posted on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:35 pm

kerravonsen wrote:
Daemon_Lotos wrote:

There's a lot of things that can be done with CSS without having to do a complete redesign. I particularly like the way one can have different sections in a CSS file which are only active if the viewport is a certain size.

Oh, of that I am aware Smile
The biggest issue with that, is that the browser is still parsing the entire page.
Part of the reasoning behind a mobile site is to shrink the amount of data transmitted, otherwise making the main site "mobile friendly" (it already pretty much is) is "good enough" Razz

Posted on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:14 am

Daemon_Lotos -- That was the response I was looking for. I wasn't sure if I was missing something or not. I notice that the drop downs don't play nice like you said but other than that its great. Though some times it renders in a nice pink rather than blue-purple

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R4.8 Fhp3.1 MFe.s Wgi Cba G2.0/.8 I9.5/3.1 Paj Daj S06 CCp

Posted on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:05 am

ColdChicken wrote:
Daemon_Lotos -- That was the response I was looking for. I wasn't sure if I was missing something or not. I notice that the drop downs don't play nice like you said but other than that its great. Though some times it renders in a nice pink rather than blue-purple

That was the April 1st "April Fools" CSS. Smile If you're still seeing it anywhere for any reason, you might want to empty your cache, it's possible your browser is ignoring the "Do Not Cache, This Pages is Dynamically Generated" portion of the PHP header.

Posted on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:28 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
ColdChicken wrote:

That was the April 1st "April Fools" CSS. Smile If you're still seeing it anywhere for any reason, you might want to empty your cache, it's possible your browser is ignoring the "Do Not Cache, This Pages is Dynamically Generated" portion of the PHP header.

Oh got it. Well I feel silly now

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R4.8 Fhp3.1 MFe.s Wgi Cba G2.0/.8 I9.5/3.1 Paj Daj S06 CCp

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:00 am

ColdChicken wrote:
Daemon_Lotos wrote:
ColdChicken wrote:

Oh got it. Well I feel silly now

Don't feel silly! We are not laughing at you.
No really... SRSLY!

Everyone point and laugh! Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 13

Posted on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:49 pm

lorraine wrote:
Everyone point and laugh! Very Happy

Points and laughs Coif LoL

"When in doubt... C4" - Jamie Hyneman

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/wpa09
My band: http://www.facebook.com/carnosus

"This is an art form, and we love to be recognized for our own work, and we'd all hope not to be confused with someone else."
- Charon, March 27, 2009

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1