chainmaille weaves book
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 24

Posted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:52 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

For the rings, could you also have a final measured AR? Especially since you are using steel for all your images, there is going to be varying springback which may confuse someone new that purchases the book as a reference to try new things.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:46 pm

mithrilweaver wrote:
would the same font, just bigger, be better? or is it the font you don't like?

It's the font I'm not fond of. I had to stop and stare at "Alligator" for awhile to figure out what the word was.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 39

Posted on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:26 am

I find the background background distracting. I understand why you have the weave mirrored, but I personally find it distracting.

I agree with the font.

I wonder why you have a three cell table with only two items.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 22

Posted on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:39 am

Beside the font and background problems, I've got two stupid questions:
- What does "Handed Nature" is supposed to mean?
- Is the "M.A.I.L. Recognition" field really informative? I mean, if the weave is in the M.A.I.L. library with the same name, anybody can find it within seconds. And if it is not, maybe it should be added?
- I'm confused by the "Ideal AR/Range: 3.6/4.7" and the fact you used two ring sizes (and Alligator River is listed here with only one ring size and ideal AR = 5.0). Is "3.6/4.7" a range? or the ideal AR for each ring size? or ...?
- Did I know how to count up to four?

MusicMan wrote:
I wonder why you have a three cell table with only two items.

To center the central column I guess.
By the way, it will probably look better without the cells border.

Submissions: 378

Posted on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:13 am

Shirluban wrote:
Beside the font and background problems, I've got two stupid questions:
- What does "Handed Nature" is supposed to mean?
- Is the "M.A.I.L. Recognition" field really informative? I mean, if the weave is in the M.A.I.L. library with the same name, anybody can find it within seconds. And if it is not, maybe it should be added?
- I'm confused by the "Ideal AR/Range: 3.6/4.7" and the fact you used two ring sizes (and Alligator River is listed here with only one ring size and ideal AR = 5.0). Is "3.6/4.7" a range? or the ideal AR for each ring size? or ...?
- Did I know how to count up to four?

handed nature will be defined in the "terms" section of the book:

Handed Nature: The mirror image of a handed weave will display new layering in the opposing direction. Half Persian style weaves usually display handed nature.

i believe the m.a.i.l. recognition section is important because many times people want to see step by step tutorials of a weave and they can find that here. i want the e-version of this book to have a hyperlink that goes straight to the weave on m.a.i.l.

the ideal ar/range will be defined in the book as:

Ideal AR/Range: This is a subjective value that may vary among different people. It describes the multiple aspect ratios over which a weave is functional. If the value is listed as _ / _ / _, this means the Ideal AR is described over the different ring sizes in the weave. If the value is listed as _ - _, this means the Ideal AR Range is described over one ring size in the weave. The low value describes the minimum AR and the high value describes the subjective maximum. There is no real maximum AR for a weave, but there is a point at which the weave becomes “not useful” because it's too loose.

i use two ring sizes to make alligator river sheet because i think it looks better and is more functional as armor this way. it's my own twist and opinion - others may disagree. i will be re-figuring each ar/ar range for every weave in the book. it has been my experience that the ar's listed on m.a.i.l. can be a little off.

the ar's listed are measured after spring back.

Submissions: 378

Posted on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:58 pm

here is a revised version. comments?

Submissions: 100

Posted on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:06 pm

there has to be some middle ground between the water mark and all that white..idk..I'm thinking it needs to be a frame in frame kinda deal.

Submissions: 39

Posted on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:10 pm

djgm wrote:
there has to be some middle ground between the water mark and all that white..idk..I'm thinking it needs to be a frame in frame kinda deal.

I agree. Maybe use more of a cloth/greyish style of paper.

Is it necessary to say that it is the top view of the unit? If there are two different views I would say yes label them, but otherwise it is confusing and messy looking.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:10 am

Definitely easier to read.

a couple of formatting tips...

make the margins on the sides the same width, taking into account safe printing area of the page when its bound into the book.

I would try to keep the descriptive material centered under the image itself.

one suggestion to take care of the high contrast of the black photo and white paper would be to try taking photos on a different background (maybe a lightly textured fabric like suede or velvet)

And the top view superscript would look better as a subscript (smaller and under the photo), or possibly place it on the image itself in the corner contrasting the background.

I've had a few classes in this type of stuff so I hope it helps.

Also, putting several entries on the page will help break up the contrast issue a bit.

Submissions: 0

Your book
Posted on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Without tutorials, your idea is just a picture book.
Kinda useless really.

History is great, but not really all that necessary unless you're teaching why you would learn or use a specific weave. An example is teaching European 4-in-1 for the purpose of making armor.

I have tons of books that give that kind of information. They just sit on my shelf. I don't use them, other than to try to learn how to do the weave from the picture (which I'm quite good at, actually). I don't read any of the writing.

What's valuable to me are tutorials, especially ones I can use to teach others -- this allows others to do chainmaille too.

As a SCAdian, I teach chainmaille classes at events. Simple tutorials that beginners can understand would be something people will buy. Otherwise, you're basically preaching to those who already know what maille is, what it's for, and how to do it.

Those people really don't need your book.
Just saying.

Good luck.

My favorite type of Maille is the kind the Postal Service DOESN'T deliver!

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3