Making Scale Flower Float
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 28

Making Scale Flower Float
Posted on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:09 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have an interesting question.
Has anyone made floating scale flowers yet?
Does anyone have a surefire method of making them float?
The current tests going on are sealing center with hot glue. (This method would be preferably mass-produce-able)

Now the type of scale flower doesn't make too much of a difference. There is the one on TRL, the one here on MAIL, and two other types shown below (my NotTao version and one from an ancient and now deleted thread from TRL)

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:54 am

You don't care if the back looks ugly, right? Would gluing some cork on the back do it?

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:07 am

i actually did a science fair project in grade 5 on buoyancy. it was a long time ago but from the look of the flowers I would say the edges arnt high enough in particular the parts that dip in. maybe a large clear plastic cup to sit them in would work. the cork is a good idea being very buoyant but would need to be on top or the flower wood just flip over.

Posted on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:39 am

Hrm, for future reference these flowers would be made out of the AA scales. I'll be sure to run the cork idea past the person requesting these.

project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 74

Posted on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:24 pm

good old wax should do it. and you can shape and color it for purpose.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 26

Posted on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:52 pm

I've seen some work done on the site regarding captured glass marbles for chainmaille sculpture making. There is no reason why you couldn't use slightly more buoyant spherical materials with the same sort of design.

I do have to say they look absolutely wonderful. If I wasn't so tied down messing around with cogs at the moment I might just be tempted to add those to my repertoire. .

Look nice with tea lights in the middle. Very Happy

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:23 am

Interesting idea!

I looked up the density of wax and it's ~93% the density of water. So it will float by itself but it won't take much extra weight before it sinks unless there's a lot of wax. Cork is ~24% the density of water, so it's a better proposition, imo. Cork would have to be glued on the back of the scales so that the flower didn't destabilise and flip upside down, unless you want to fix the flower to a wide round "coaster" of cork (or wax).

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:46 pm

I would look at slumping a disk of wax over the inverted flower.
Plastics may also work.
It ends up being more of a boat at that point so your dealing with displacement not just density.
I wonder if just adding cork disks to the under side may be enough.

Posted on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:55 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about those cork stickies that you can put on the bottoms or lamps and vases so that they don't scratch the surface they are on. I would still glue them though. I don't think the stickiness on the back would do well in water. Let us know how it turns out TCG?

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:20 pm

calyx wrote:
Interesting idea!

I looked up the density of wax and it's ~93% the density of water. So it will float by itself but it won't take much extra weight before it sinks unless there's a lot of wax. Cork is ~24% the density of water, so it's a better proposition, imo. Cork would have to be glued on the back of the scales so that the flower didn't destabilise and flip upside down, unless you want to fix the flower to a wide round "coaster" of cork (or wax).

Small, buoyant, designed to be hooked onto things......

Fishing float?

Ok here is an idea, it's a bit more involved but MUCH more controllable.

Fishing float (with a loop on each end) put a long chain on one end (say 15 cm?) then attach an adjustable weight. Add the flower to the other end of the float (preferably using a rigid chainmaille cap over the top of the float hard wired to the flower) and sit in the water.

It will probably capsize. so add MORE weight incrementally to the chain until the float 'bobs". That should keep the flower upright and make it very stable.

Posted on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:22 pm

you might be able to make cork scales, the ring size would need adjusting to accommodate the thicker cork scales. The more I think about it the less metal seems like a good idea for water sports.

Posted on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:09 pm

I'll be sure to get back to everyone with the experimentation. Between communication and getting the supplies, could take a couple weeks to actually get back... so those seeking a similar answer/idea can be patient for my results or do their own. Razz

project.addRing();

Posted on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:38 pm

I predict a 95% chance of link science! Hazzah!

Posted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:25 am

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
I'll be sure to get back to everyone with the experimentation. Between communication and getting the supplies, could take a couple weeks to actually get back... so those seeking a similar answer/idea can be patient for my results or do their own. Razz

Hey! I will pout and whine if I want to! *stomps her foot*

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 am

eagerly awaiting what you come up with TCG {singing; there's a hole in my bucket dear Liza dear Liza...

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next