My First Dip Into Maille: "Tying the Knot"
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 61

My First Dip Into Maille: "Tying the Knot"
Posted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:46 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Tying The Knot is my first finished Maille project (now in the Gallery). It's a necklace and earrings set of my own design.

There are things I am happy about, and things I am unhappy about.
First, there's a little roughness with the closures, but that should improve with practice (plus the links I used were not saw-cut).
I do like how the knot came out. I'm not so happy with how I joined the ends back together; it's a bit messy.

The other frustrating thing about the knot is that since Box Chain 4 in 1 has a direction (one might call it a nap, like with velvet), then on each side of the knot the top "strand" is going in one direction, and the bottom "strand" is going in the other. That's like sewing a piece of velvet with the nap of two pieces going in the opposite direction - it doesn't feel right.

So if I were to do something similar again, then I would need a weave that is the same in both directions. Perhaps Byzantine, but I do like the... slinkiness of Box chain and Roundmaille. Any suggestions of good chain weaves for this?

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:02 am

Kerovonsen, I like your necklace and earring set. But you need to post them in the thread instead of posting a link to the gallery post. In other words you need to use an image hosting site instead of using MAIL'S gallery to host your image.

Thank you!
Lorraine

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 574

Posted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:32 am

? lorraine.

You don't -need- to make the picture show up in your post, kerravonsen. You've provided a link so people can look at it.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:05 am

Anyways. I'm probably not the best help, seeing as I don't do jewellery.

But for chain weaves with perfect symmetry that could be used for jewellery, you could try Captive 2 in 1 Chain, Turkish Round, or Half Persian 4 in 1, although I'm not sure how the latter would maintain its composition in the knot.

Most of the other completely symmetrical chain weaves I know are probably too tight and not ideal for this kind of thing. There's always http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavelist.php?tags=Chain&page=1&norecs=50 if you care to leaf through 645 chains and filter out the non-symmetrical, and less-than-ideal ones. You'd be left with a small handful.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:16 am

lorraine wrote:
Kerovonsen, I like your necklace and earring set. But you need to post them in the thread instead of posting a link to the gallery post. In other words you need to use an image hosting site instead of using MAIL'S gallery to host your image.

Thank you!
Lorraine

this has bothered me for years.

can we fix this?

dear god why can't i link to my own gallery image in the thread? are we too poor to load 100k that many times?

i thought we had a better host now? one without so many bandwidth restrictions.

the idea of scampering off to photobucket every time i want an image to show up in a thread is pretty bothersome.

bothersome to the point that i won't do it anymore.

not for gallery images. not for contest entries.

i'm on image strike until we can post images that we submit to the site in threads.

normally this would be fine as my output is pretty low.. but i have some really cool stuff in the mix.

lorraine, i know you're just doing what you've done quite well for awhile now.. this isn't against you as an individual, but against the system we currently are using.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:36 pm

lorraine wrote:

1. It would help if there was a guideline which actually said this. Say, mention it in the "posting to gallery" guidelines or something like that.
2. I linked to the gallery because I thought it was safer to do so - far too often I've seen interesting discussions in various forums all over the internet and been frustrated because the externally-hosted image they are discussing is no longer there. At least I can be certain that if I link to the gallery, it won't vanish. Or at least, it won't vanish before the forum thread does...

Posted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
But for chain weaves with perfect symmetry that could be used for jewellery, you could try Captive 2 in 1 Chain, Turkish Round, or Half Persian 4 in 1, although I'm not sure how the latter would maintain its composition in the knot.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Taking a quick look, Captive 2 in 1 Chain looks rather nice, though the description says that it is a stiff weave, which probably knocks it out of the running.

Turkish Round was on my list of possibles, yes.

Half Persian 4 in 1 I gather is quite difficult to do (or at least, to start) though it looks absolutely lovely. I shall keep it in mind for when I am more experienced.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:23 pm

I actually like that the two grains go opposite each other. Just like two pieces of rope that were tied together the grain does not always match up, but we are our own worst critic.

Nice job.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:41 pm

[quote:1e9383ca78="kerravonsen"]

Thanks for your suggestions!

Taking a quick look, Captive 2 in 1 Chain looks rather nice, though the description says that it is a stiff weave, which probably knocks it out of the running.

Turkish Round was on my list of possibles, yes.

Half Persian 4 in 1 I gather is quite difficult to do (or at least, to start) though it looks absolutely lovely. I shall keep it in mind for when I am more experienced.

Captive 2 in 1 Chain doesn't have to be stiff, if the proper ring size combination is used.

Also, I remembered after I posted that HP4-1 isn't perfectly symmetrical, it's only half symmetrical, as the sides are different. It isn't directional though. There are a number of tutorials listed for it, and I'm sure you can figure it out. If you get really stuck, use the yarn one: Half Persian 4 in 1 the Easiest Way (Yarn as a Guide). According to its title, it is the easiest. Don't let the Persian weaves intimidate you!

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:04 pm

sakredchao wrote:
lorraine wrote:

Thank you!
Lorraine

this has bothered me for years.

can we fix this?

dear god why can't i link to my own gallery image in the thread? are we too poor to load 100k that many times?

i thought we had a better host now? one without so many bandwidth restrictions.

the idea of scampering off to photobucket every time i want an image to show up in a thread is pretty bothersome.

bothersome to the point that i won't do it anymore.

not for gallery images. not for contest entries.

i'm on image strike until we can post images that we submit to the site in threads.

normally this would be fine as my output is pretty low.. but i have some really cool stuff in the mix.

lorraine, i know you're just doing what you've done quite well for awhile now.. this isn't against you as an individual, but against the system we currently are using.

This isn't the thread for this discussion.
And the answer is: Yes, we use a very high percentage of our bandwidth each month... A portion of it to constant search engine crawls of the (expansive) forums.

The more crosslinked data that exists, the more bandwidth it will use by being loaded from multiple places.

We're not that poor, but there are reasons. I would be happy to discuss them with you Smile But not here.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Nice piece Smile

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1