Experiments with Chainmaille and 3d printing. (large pics)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 74

Experiments with Chainmaille and 3d printing. (large pics)
Posted on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:19 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

okay. i've talk on this b4 time i shared some results.

sorry about the pic size here!

here is a section of rectangular rings printed on my Prusa.

they are okay rings for the moment. this print took about 2hrs. it is flexible in only one direction. the links are about the equivalent density of square rings made from 11-12 swg rings. it has some unique properties that are not observed in traditional maille shapes. the interlocking of the rings is a major one. this section was printed as a finished section. (rings are woven during the printing)

I had a few feet of extra plastic and was wondering what to do with it. and i thought what the hell its only a few feet i'll run it out making some clear blue scales. here are some items i made from them.

they don't match any size currently available from scale dealers that i know of. they are about 1/2 way between TRL's large and small scalls. they work well with 18swg 3/32 rings as connectors. they are also incandescent and fun to play with is you have a black light. i may have to get some Glow-in-the-dark PLA and make some more. i also made transparent Green and some Black scales. all turned out vary well and fun to use. good thing to use up the little extra bit of plastic i wind up with.

now that i have the printer running again i'm going to start looking back into the printed ring saw idea. more on that later.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 16

Posted on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:42 am

I LOVE the scale butterflies! I love butterflies and would love to try something like this if you don't mind?

Do you make and sell scales?

Submissions: 74

Posted on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:59 am

i did make the plastic scales i was using. don't sell them (yet). they are made on a machine that dose not allow for production. just a few takes hours. good for my use not good for selling them. the Aluminum scales i used are TRLs small scales.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 42

Posted on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:34 pm

I have to agree Maxum I really like those scales as well. If you ever had the ability to mass produce you would make a killing!

Thanks for sharing.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:04 am

I can't believe I just started learning about 3d printing and sure enough, someone has already put it to use in chainmaille. Smile I was even thinking today "I wonder if you can print maille already woven". I just came to the site looking for a leather project using some ideas I have in mind after discovering ponoko.com, a site that also laser cuts, for an inlay idea. The scales, like the others have said, are beautiful Smile They have a nice translucent quality you don't get from aluminum. A backlit flower or butterfly would be awesome. You may consider mass producing through www.shapeways.com or the one I just mentioned, ponoko.com. They can both give you a shop space online to sell 3d printed designs.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1