Proposed Discussion Board Revamp
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 79

Posted on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:10 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

i think the title knitting circle is fine. if there is confusion, clear it up in the description..

"Knitting Circle - 106397 Posts in 8904 Threads
This is the place to discuss maille-related topics in a relaxed, open atmosphere. "

this seems clear-ish to me. open to suggestions. open to changing the title too, but it would need to be something as endearing as 'knitting circle'. it just sounds nice.

i think the clubs and contests could be lumped in with the group projects pretty easily as "clubs, contests and group projects".

part of me wants to put all of the general discussion forums in the knitting circle.

Community
- Knitting Circle
- Group Projects (Moved from Discussion)
- Gatherings (Created as replacement for Gatherings unused section of main site - Would help people discuss proposed gatherings, renfests, etc..)
- Off-Topic Chat (Renamed Chat)

also, what is the plan with the teaching groups area? i am almost in favor of scrapping what we have there. start a stickied thread where people can post their information in the gatherings forum. i was calling numbers one day and talked to a disgruntled parent. we -need- to write something about, "if you are under 18 get your parents permission." it sounds cliche and goofy, but.. the actions of the minor member seem innocent enough that an "ask your parents" reminder might have worked.

i'm not sure if i talked to one or two (if any?) people who were still interested in being on the list.. it was a small enough percentage to make the list pretty worthless to anyone looking to find a teaching group.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:25 pm

I continue to like "Kitting Circle" for a couple of reasons. One, it sound more relaxed and inviting and some people do call it knitting metal or weaving so I think it is appropriate.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 11

Posted on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
But we're all bland, boring people!!!!

Speak for yourself. Razz

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:24 am

sakredchao wrote:
part of me wants to put all of the general discussion forums in the knitting circle.

While this has merrit in itself, seperating out (at least) the "post photos of your work" section makes sense... At least, to me...

sakredchao wrote:
also, what is the plan with the teaching groups area? i am almost in favor of scrapping what we have there. start a stickied thread where people can post their information in the gatherings forum. i was calling numbers one day and talked to a disgruntled parent. we -need- to write something about, "if you are under 18 get your parents permission." it sounds cliche and goofy, but.. the actions of the minor member seem innocent enough that an "ask your parents" reminder might have worked.

i'm not sure if i talked to one or two (if any?) people who were still interested in being on the list.. it was a small enough percentage to make the list pretty worthless to anyone looking to find a teaching group.

Yeah, after your initial reports ages ago on the badness in that section, i think starting fresh (and organizing better) is certainly the way to go.
Along with a disclaimer re: minors, etc...

Back to the topic at hand... Still entertaining suggestions on names for Gallery Discussion... Also looking for more input on the KC name...

Any other comments or questions, keep it coming folks!

Submissions: 93

Posted on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:03 am

I opine:

- "Knitting Circle" should stay.
- "Wire Arts" was originally a favor to a small group of members who wanted to start their own wire arts community on a new site. Those folks all seem to have wandered off, more or less, leaving us with a forum that maybe really shouldn't be here in the first place?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 574

Posted on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:43 am

I've got to chime in and say I like the name Knitting Circle too.

Let me ask: Is there anyone who doesn't want the main forum to be called this?

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 79

Posted on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:43 pm

lotos, is renaming the KC a response to confused messages you've received from members?

i haven't come up with a better gallery forum name.. do we really need to change it? has anyone been finding people who are confused about the purpose of the forum? i'm okay with a name being imprecise if it communicates effectively.

the wire arts area does not bother me. i could see techniques developed in that area having unique crossover into maille. i'm not attached to it. whatever the membership wants on this one.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:59 pm

sakredchao wrote:
lotos, is renaming the KC a response to confused messages you've received from members?

Less in response to direct messages.
More in an effort to curtail the number of misplaced forum posts.
Alongside removing some of the other forums.
I've noticed a lot of "General Discussion" end up elsewhere, perhaps due to the name, perhaps not... I didn't really poll the membership Razz

sakredchao wrote:
i haven't come up with a better gallery forum name.. do we really need to change it? has anyone been finding people who are confused about the purpose of the forum? i'm okay with a name being imprecise if it communicates effectively.

It's not going to be imprecise... With the removal of Articles Discussions, it'll be downright confusing, imho...
It's not for discussing the gallery... It's main use is posting threads with pictures of projects along the way... A bit like show and tell at school... But that was (accurately) pointed out as being fairly juvenile.

This brings up a bigger set of questions:

Does changing something for the better actively require people having complained about it being bad?
Should we strive to improve? Or just settle for "Good enough, has always worked"?

Posted on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:24 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

Does changing something for the better actively require people having complained about it being bad?

No, but what I think we are finding out is that what one person thinks is a good idea other people do not see it that way or must be educated why it is a good idea. I think you have done a good job of that in many regards the question may be just a search for more information.

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Should we strive to improve? Or just settle for "Good enough, has always worked"?

Yes, we should strive to improve, but I start to wonder how the bylaws come into the dropping of forums. I know there is a big process to add a new category to the forum, i.e. addition of "History forum" and adding comments on Admin forum, but I am unsure what the process is to combine forums...

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:15 pm

MusicMan wrote:
Daemon_Lotos wrote:

No, but what I think we are finding out is that what one person thinks is a good idea other people do not see it that way or must be educated why it is a good idea. I think you have done a good job of that in many regards the question may be just a search for more information.

Touche Wink (Can you tell I like playing devils advocate?)
I'll refrain from further comment, still waiting for more discussion Smile

MusicMan wrote:
Yes, we should strive to improve, but I start to wonder how the bylaws come into the dropping of forums. I know there is a big process to add a new category to the forum, i.e. addition of "History forum" and adding comments on Admin forum, but I am unsure what the process is to combine forums...

Oh, that's easy.
It requires a vote. (5.1.3)
Hence all this pre-discussion. Very Happy
(Note my careful use of the word "Proposed")

Find exactly what everyone wants ahead of time, that way when the vote is posted, there is less oodles of pages of clarifications and disagreements, and more approval or disapproval, and swift legislation.

Posted on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:27 pm

DL you are a wise man. I could learn much from your tactics and ways.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:41 pm

Personally I like "Look what I did!" Gallery. I'm serious.

MAIL Help is misleading. "Site Help" maybe? But I think is should still be its own forum.

To be honest Knitting Circle has never made sense to me. And very few people stop to read what forum they should post in. People choose it because it's the first one listed. "General Maille Discussion" makes sense too me. But if most people want it to stay KC... meh.

Articles Discussion could be changed to "Article Requests". That could be a question about an existing article, a request for a specific article, a comment about an article, a request to clarify an article.

I'd like to keep Weaves Discussion. Each thread should be about a specific weave or a discussion about weave theory. (What weave should I use? should go in General Maille Discussion.)

Personally, I think Wire Arts should go. And no, it's not because I don't like wire art. I LOVE WIRE ART. I have done tons of it. I have every single issue of Wire Artist Jeweller Magazine ever put out. I have made beautiful wire art (yes, I just said that Razz ) And sold almost all of it. But this is not a Wire Arts site. There are much better sites to discuss the subject than here. If people want to post pics of wire art, they can do it in chat. It is pretty "off-topic" for a maille site.

I've never been a fan of the Trading Room. It has the potential for commercializing MAIL and I'm a'gin it. Razz

Group Projects... I've never paid much attention to. But I think it should be merged into General Maille Discussion. If no one is interested, the thread will drop down.

Even though we don't use it much, I still think we need Admin Discussion. The admins need a place to openly discuss the site without someone barging in and derailing things.

I like League Business too. Anyone can barge in and derail things. Just kidding. Very Happy Actually, anyone can voice their opinion and be heard by the admins. I like that.

Requests should be merged with Site Help.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2