Ringinator Arbor Modification Question
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Ringinator Arbor Modification Question
Posted on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:25 pm || Last edited by TangledMetal on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

I will not even go into the dismal communication issues with ordering a Ringinator or the fact that mine showed up missing the pump.

What I would like to know is has anyone modified the arbor that Martin uses to remove the notch?? It looks like he has made it so that you can only use his blades. His notch is rounded and everything I have found out there is either no notch or a square notch.

I was thinking of grinding the notch off so I can use standard blades. Has anyone had any experience with this type of modification?

Tangled Metal - 27 Years In The Making
http://www.TangledMetal.com

Posted on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:42 pm

Seriously, not everything is about greed. If I wanted to force people to only use my blades I would make an arbor with a non-standard diameter like 0.444" instead of .500". Rolling Eyes
That's there because a few people have complained that the blades "slip" in the arbor. This solution was the simplest that me and the machinists I asked could come up with.
If you want to use a different blade, you can take a dremel-like tool and file/grind out a small notch on the inside diameter of the blade. Only takes about 5 seconds with a dremel to mod a blade.

Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Posted on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:52 am

It is not hard to find key'd blades... a simple search popped up my standard supplier and they have just about any kind of blade you could ever need.

Also in Martins defense. Have you ever tried running every aspect of your own business? Communication with the customer is usually handled by its own department, however consider that Martin is only able to do that for a part of his day as he does have many other aspects to take care of at the same time.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:06 am

ChainedReaction wrote:
It is not hard to find key'd blades... a simple search popped up my standard supplier and they have just about any kind of blade you could ever need.

Also in Martins defense. Have you ever tried running every aspect of your own business? Communication with the customer is usually handled by its own department, however consider that Martin is only able to do that for a part of his day as he does have many other aspects to take care of at the same time.

I've never been a fan of keyed blades, but I do understand their purpose.

In TangledMetal's defense, Martin has been reortedly difficult to contact at times...
The only sure fire way I've seen to get him to reply seems to be to post a thread on the forums complaining that he's hard to get ahold of... Historically he replies to those within a few hours Coif LoL

That being said, remember this is the internet, everyone has their own preset opinion of what everything should be, and tend to be a little more vocal about it than if they were present in person.
Trust me, I've even had pleasant conversations with Cynake in person, where he's said such things as "I see your point." Coif LoL

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Posted on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:09 am

ChainedReaction, I have been running my own business for over 16 years straight. I believe in customer service very strongly. I get 100 to 400 emails a week, sometimes more. It is VERY rare for me to go more than 12 to 24 hours without replying to them. Most of the time I reply within an hour or less. I have a brick and mortar shop, 9 web sites and 3 Etsy shops. I also have a family. I seem to be able to find time to run all aspects of my businesses and find time to spend with my family.

I have no idea what Martin's life is like, but I would expect anyone who is selling a $450 machine to at least reply in a timely fashion. I am not the only person to complain about his lack of communication.

Martin's blades are not keyed like most all the other blades on the market. His are ROUNDED notches. You would still have to modify the keyed blades, which are SQUARE notches.

Daemon_Lotos, I agree with you about Martin replying to threads MUCH faster than emails. He must have an alert set up to let him know when someone mentions him on the forums.

I have NOTHING against Martin personally. I have been using the Ringinator for two days now and was able to cut 50 pounds of aluminum and 10 pounds of stainless in a very short time. (I was lucky enough to already have a pump so I was not affected by not having one shipped to me) I really like the machine though I have several modifications in mind to make my life easier.

As a business owner I completely understand selling proprietary consumables, it is a great way to make some extra money. As a consumer, I was looking for a way to not use proprietary consumables that cost double what I can get generic ones for. Martin gave a suggestion of modifying each blade to fit. I will try this and see how it works.

Posted on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:10 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
ChainedReaction wrote:

I've never been a fan of keyed blades, but I do understand their purpose.

In TangledMetal's defense, Martin has been reortedly difficult to contact at times...
The only sure fire way I've seen to get him to reply seems to be to post a thread on the forums complaining that he's hard to get ahold of... Historically he replies to those within a few hours Coif LoL

That being said, remember this is the internet, everyone has their own preset opinion of what everything should be, and tend to be a little more vocal about it than if they were present in person.
Trust me, I've even had pleasant conversations with Cynake in person, where he's said such things as "I see your point." Coif LoL

I do appologize, I do see where you are coming from. My response was writes right after having a hard time trying to catch up on customer service emails. So I was a little frustrated and the topic just rubbed at the wrong time is all. I did not mean any disrespect by my comments. And I appologize for going off half cocked.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:15 am

ChainedReaction wrote:
I do appologize, I do see where you are coming from. My response was writes right after having a hard time trying to catch up on customer service emails. So I was a little frustrated and the topic just rubbed at the wrong time is all. I did not mean any disrespect by my comments. And I appologize for going off half cocked.

Oh dude, don't apologize! No need!
Life's too short to spend it taking yourself (or me) too seriously Smile

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Posted on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:03 pm

I would like to take back anything negative that I have said about Martin. While on vacation he has been helping me with my Ringinator over enail from outside the country. He may be difficult to contact at times but he is very knowledgeable and very helpful.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1