Using AA for Dragonscale bracelets question
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Using AA for Dragonscale bracelets question
Posted on Mon May 21, 2012 10:44 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm looking to learn Dragonscale and want to make a bracelet out of AA since I personally love it for my jewelry. The problem I am having is deciding what two sizes of rings to go with. I know DS is very touchy about sizes, but most of the things I've found about the sizes are for steel. I understand AR but I really don't want to order rings and find out I made a critical error in size (this has happened before) so I was wondering if anyone had used AA to make DS and what sizes they used?

Submissions: 576

Posted on Mon May 21, 2012 12:58 pm

Dragonscale isn't as touchy about ring sizes as most chainmaillers make it out to be. As long as you follow a few simple rules, you're fine.

• The AR of the large ring must be at least 2.0 above that of the small rings.
  • The minimum AR for the small rings is a minimum of 3.6.

You mentioned wanting to use the weave for a bracelet, so you'll need a bit of flexibility. This is gained by doing two things:

• Increasing the AR gap between the small and large rings.
  • Increasing the AR of the small ring (and thus, the large too) a little bit.

There you go. I would recommend a starting point of 3.9 and 6.1, and you can go up from there. As high as 4.8 and 7.2 still works well and provides a nice consistency.

This is assuming you're using the same wire diameter for the small and large ring. This is definitely not a requirement. If you plan on using rings of different wire sizes for the small and large rings, it becomes more important to look at wire and inner diameter relationships.

Where will you be getting your AA rings, and what kind of specific sizing information is available about them?

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:54 am

Chainmailbasket_com: Thank you so much for the response! I order my rings from The Ring Lord, that way get consistency with the rings when I reorder the same sizes repeatedly.

Submissions: 22

Posted on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:54 am

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:

You mentioned wanting to use the weave for a bracelet, so you'll need a bit of flexibility. This is gained by doing two things:

What about using rubber rings for the small rings?

Posted on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:13 pm

Shirluban wrote:
Chainmailbasket_com wrote:

What about using rubber rings for the small rings?

I hadn't thought of using rubber rings for the dragonscale, that's a good idea!

Posted on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Quick tip if more people are looking for this. I was watching a youtube video on creating Dragonscale and the guys said that "the small rings need to be able to pass through the large rings but also the small rings need to be able to hold 3 of the large rings." This should help people who are looking to mix gauges, it just requires some math. Wink

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:38 am

Phoenyx wrote:
"the small rings need to be able to pass through the large rings but also the small rings need to be able to hold 3 of the large rings."

That's how I always determine what ring sizes to use in my dragonscale. Don't necessarily need math (for those who hate math), just a sample of the rings to be used. If in doubt, you can ask in here and I'm sure there are a few people who could say if the combination will likely work or not.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1