Calculating Euro 4-1 Rings per Square Foot
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Calculating Euro 4-1 Rings per Square Foot
Posted on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:10 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I know I have way too much time on my hands, but for those who want to know how changing your ID or AR will affect how many rings you'll need I've empirically calculated a formula to predict how many rings you'll need for a given area. We'll start with the number of rows need for a given height at full stretch:

Num_Rows = Height / [2*(Do - 1)]

This was found analytically (which means that it wasn't a curve fit, but actually calculated using geometry). Since we know how many rows are required for a given height the only error in our calculation is from the assumption of how each ring lays over the over. In theory, if the wire is infinitely thin, then the number of rings around a cylinder is equal to the circumference divided by the ID.

Rings/sqft = 144/(ID*OD)

However, the rings don't lay perfectly flat and the wire isn't infinitely thin, so there is some error involved. This can be corrected by adding another term for a curve fit (a fudge factor if you will):

Rings/sqft = FIT * 144/(ID*OD)

where

FIT = 0.0245*AR^3 - 0.3461*AR^2 + 1.3998*AR + 0.4976

The curve fit works best for AR's less than ~7, but is better than 5% accurate up to AR's of about 9.4

Hope this helps!
-Ben

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1