DL's laptop go boom...
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 20

DL's laptop go boom...
Posted on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:44 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

So... Uh... Yeah... There is that.
It's a hard drive failure... Still under warranty, so it's going in for replacement.

I keep on-demand backups of all MAIL data via Live Sync between my laptop, desktop and work PC... So none of that's gone missing... I'm just grumpy right now.

Crying (very sad)

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:37 am

Awwww that really sucks man. I had a hard drive fail on me once too. I had about 60gB of music on it, I was horribly upset.
But then again, I moved my desktop a lot while it was on, and would take that drive with me places, dropping it and whatnot, so it really was my fault haha Very Happy
And at least yours was under warranty

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:16 am

DL... mine has been acting very weird... should I be worried?

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 35

Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:14 am

lorraine wrote:
It never hurts to backup that which you don't want to lose. Smile

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:10 am

Aberrant Artificer wrote:
lorraine wrote:
It never hurts to backup that which you don't want to lose. Smile

lorraine: Define weird...
Actually, PM me Razz

Chen: Uh, yeah... Desktop drives are not fond of that Smile

Moral of the story: Apparently, don't trust Western Digital drives... Again... UGH
I had WD issues years ago, which turned out to be a massive issue with a whole product line at the time...
It's looking like it's a big thing again, as far as the internet tells me...

Buuut... When you buy a laptop, you don't get to choose what's inside.

As for my deskop? I've never built a system I didn't put a Maxtor in, save that one WD.
And I've never had a desktop drive fail, save that one WD...
Coincidence? Perhaps.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:56 am

Oh, I feel for you!! I have lost probably a dozen hard drives over the years. It sucks ass. The worst one ever was when I lost ALLLLLL my music due to disk failure. That still breaks my heart even today. I don't think I've ever replaced all that I lost.

ETA: I've had a maxtor fail. In fact, I haven't met a manufacturer yet where I haven't either had a defective drive or it failed. Current one is WD and haven't had issues...yet. *knocks furiously on wood*

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:53 am

I am seriously crazy about having back ups, I think I have my entire music on three different harddrives (ok, to be fair, one is not a harddrive, but a sdhc card for my tablet). Never lost a harddrive, though... (okay, once a 250gb external, but it was still in the 'two month period' (every harddrive I get only gets data I have a backup for, because most harddrives crash in their early life, after two month, I start to trust 'em a bit more).
But I only had one WD and that was still in the day where 2GB harddrives where still awesomely big ^^.

But I can magine how much it sucks to loose a laptop, even if it still has warranty.

Submissions: 574

Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Any time I experience unusual behaviour from a computer, I immediately backup anything that I wouldn't want to lose, although I do regular backups for important stuff anyways. If a computer or part fails, who cares. They are easily replaceable. Data is not so easy to replace.

And, I too have had a Western Digital hard drive crap out on me. When it started acting up, I ran it on its side for awhile, sitting inside the case. For some reason I find drives will last that little bit extra when running on their side. Does this sound crazy? I guess in my mind I figure there are less likely to be head crashes without gravity helping.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:58 pm

Well during the last 20+ years I mounted thousands of hard disks into PCs, did service the PCs, and also dealt with RMAs of HDDs distributed by my employer, so my experience level is relatively high. There were always times when the one or other maker was renowned to produce really good drives, and others less so - but this continuously changed, and sometimes only particular series of hard disks were troublemakers, and not the whole maker's portfolio.

When selecting HDDs for my own PCS, I naturally chose what was known to me as being reliable, having low RMA numbers. So when I built my current PC, around four years ago, I chose WD drives, but of the 24/7 and RAID certified HDD series that are also used in servers. And they ARE run 24/7 since then. When I needed more HDD space, two years ago, I chose WD as well - currently I owe WD HDDs with a total capacity of around ten Terabytes, and had not the slightest problems with.

And I'm NOT a WD fanboy - previous machines were equipped with Maxtor drives, IBM/Hitachi, Seagate, and others that don't even exist nowadays as HDD providers. Personally I had seldom problems with HDDs - so it seems also being a matter of how you treat them. My last personal RMA is many years ago, with a Maxtor drive that told me in advance that it wasn't feeling well, so I could save the data, before replacing the disk.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 97

Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:55 pm

My family's laptop might be joining yours is blowing up soon. It has a broken fan (and has for over a year) and on occasion we hear it go pop and shoot out puffs of smoke.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:59 pm

Nárrína wrote:
My family's laptop might be joining yours is blowing up soon. It has a broken fan (and has for over a year) and on occasion we hear it go pop and shoot out puffs of smoke.

have you considered letting the dragon out? this is normal behavior for a computer in which a dragon is trapped.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 am

sakredchao wrote:
Nárrína wrote:

have you considered letting the dragon out? this is normal behavior for a computer in which a dragon is trapped.

LIKE! Very Happy

Submissions: 97

Posted on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:55 pm

sakredchao wrote:
Nárrína wrote:

LOL!!

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1