Orcs, and Elves, and Not Tao, oh my! (pic heavy)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 95

Posted on Tue May 29, 2012 9:19 pm || Last edited by Nárrína on Tue May 29, 2012 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Jax25 wrote:
Nárrína wrote:
Glue-a-gear-on-it-and-call-it-Steampunk pieces tend to bug me. What I was meaning was that gears and cogs can be used in Steampunk, but not everything that uses them is, necessarily, Steampunk. One of the neat things about Steampunk is that you can make just about anything work with it, but the materials are just part of the expression of it and not the definition of it and just about any material will work. Hopefully, that made sense.

True...and I think I understand what you're talking about. Basically the things one would find on regretsy under the "not even remotely Steampunk" category, right? Still, I made a pair of earrings that are stainless steel and copper barrels with a small steel watch gear at the bottom that I consider Steampunk - or at least Steampunk inspired - that other people probably would scoff at as not being Steampunk because thiey're "just barrels with a gear at the bottom."

Yah, Regretsy has some great examples of non-Steampunk being called Steampunk. I've no clue how in the world those jewelry pieces with the pewter octopus in them even remotely fall under Steampunk. If they were thinking about Jules Vern's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, it was a giant squid, not an octopus.

I think sometimes it's a very, very fine line (and a highly subjective one) between when something is Steampunk, Steampunk inspired, or not at all Steampunk and even then sometimes it is the context of how the piece is being used that will ultimately decide it.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue May 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Nárrína wrote:
Yah, Regretsy has some great examples of non-Steampunk being called Steampunk. I've no clue how in the world those jewelry pieces with the pewter octopus in them even remotely fall under Steampunk. If they were thinking about Jules Vern's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, it was a giant squid, not an octopus.

I think sometimes it's a very, very fine line (and a highly subjective one) between when something is Steampunk, Steampunk inspired, or not at Steampunk and even then sometimes it is the context of how the piece is being used that will ultimately decide it.

Ahahaha, the octopus thing is EXACTLY what I was thinking about. I too have never understood why those are considered Steampunk but I keep seeing them popping up, even on the Steampunk Empire. Every time I see one I think, "WTF???" And of course you're right, it is highly subjective. Like there are those who insist that you have to have goggles on your hat to be Steampunk and still others that insist that it's passe to have them. (I personally think it looks kinda silly, but that's my own opinion and I would never tell anyone not to put them there) The lovely thing about Steampunk is that generally everybody follows the "live and let live" ideal. That's what really drew me to the community to begin with.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Wed May 30, 2012 1:36 am

Nárrína wrote:
kaeru wrote:
Do you have a new camera or something?

Nope, still using the same camera I've always used. I do, however, think I need to start looking for a better one. I'm thinking about changing over from an Olympus to a Nikon.

Why that? It obviously does a good job. So if you don't need a new feature the current camera doesn't have, I don't see a cause for a change. But I must admit, that I owe(d) cameras made by Nikon, Canon, and Olympus, and currently use one of my Olympuses (and not even my newest one), if I want quick and good results. So my opinion(s) might be a bit biased in that regard.

BTW back to the topic: I like what you do with your interpretation of the Steampunk theme. It's obvious, that your pieces are NOT normal jewellery with some stuck-on gears, to label it Steampunk, but is imho a very personal, and harmonic interpretation.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 95

Posted on Wed May 30, 2012 2:11 pm

ZiLi wrote:
Nárrína wrote:
kaeru wrote:
Do you have a new camera or something?

Nope, still using the same camera I've always used. I do, however, think I need to start looking for a better one. I'm thinking about changing over from an Olympus to a Nikon.

Why that? It obviously does a good job. So if you don't need a new feature the current camera doesn't have, I don't see a cause for a change. But I must admit, that I owe(d) cameras made by Nikon, Canon, and Olympus, and currently use one of my Olympuses (and not even my newest one), if I want quick and good results. So my opinion(s) might be a bit biased in that regard.

The camera I have has been working well for me so far, but I'm starting to apply to some of the higher end juried Fine Art shows, and they can be extremely fussy about picture quality. I'm also getting ready to start approaching some galleries/boutiques about displaying my work so I want to make sure my pics are as good as they can be (without going to a professional, which some do). I want to get rid of as much of the camera noise as possible. The camera I have right now, is just a simple Olympus point-and-click. I'm not in any hurry to get a new camera, just considering that I may need to upgrade to a better one sometime.

ZiLi wrote:
BTW back to the topic: I like what you do with your interpretation of the Steampunk theme. It's obvious, that your pieces are NOT normal jewellery with some stuck-on gears, to label it Steampunk, but is imho a very personal, and harmonic interpretation.

Thanks, ZiLi! Smile

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Submissions: 150

Posted on Wed May 30, 2012 3:17 pm

Nárrína wrote:
The camera I have has been working well for me so far, but I'm starting to apply to some of the higher end juried Fine Art shows, and they can be extremely fussy about picture quality. I'm also getting ready to start approaching some galleries/boutiques about displaying my work so I want to make sure my pics are as good as they can be (without going to a professional, which some do). I want to get rid of as much of the camera noise as possible. The camera I have right now, is just a simple Olympus point-and-click. I'm not in any hurry to get a new camera, just considering that I may need to upgrade to a better one sometime.

In that case we both seem to row the same boat. When a 'dear' co-worker trashed my good Digi-SLR, I could not afford a new one at that moment. So I used one of my P&S ones (I found an Olympus being the best among them). And I noticed that it suffices to make good images, in MOST cases. But once the need arises, or I get a Gold-shiXXing donkey, a good Digi-SLR will belong to my equipment again - much likely sooner than later.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:40 pm

I love how I stop by mailleartisans to see what's new in the gallery, find some awesome steampunk/maille pieces in copper, gears, bullets, crystals and rubies and now I'm listening to steampunk music (which I had no idea existed until now.) Thanks, Narrina. Smile

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2