Tiffany minimum AR
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Tiffany minimum AR
Posted on Mon May 28, 2012 1:30 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Not sure where to post this, but I figured this was as food a place as any to start. I've been playing around with the Tiffany weave recently and noticed there is no min AR declared on the weave details page. I've worked it successfully down to what i believe to be about a 4.6. Can anyone confirm/deny this? Also, how does a weave page get updates to reflect such things?

Janus0816

Submissions: 7

Posted on Mon May 28, 2012 1:36 am

This thread is for submitting changes to weave AR info.

It might be a good idea to also add some pictures of the density at given ARs.

while(!finished)
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 N22.20 Pn Dcdjs Xg39w1 S07

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon May 28, 2012 1:46 am

Right now, the AR's are added or changed by admins. Because we are talking about something as specific as a minimum AR, we really need more information than you have provided. What rings did you use? Did you make them or buy them? Are they saw cut? If so, what thickness of blade did you use? Were they hand cut with cutters? Were they machine cut? What wire size? What ID? These should be caliper measurements, not an estimate. How large a patch did you make? (Weaves tend to get tighter when you make a larger patch. What material did you use? If you say the minimum AR is 4.6, did you attempt the weave with rings at AR 4.5 to verify that?

Your answers to these questions are important when submitting a AR for a weave.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon May 28, 2012 2:53 am

Thank you for the feedback! I'm still somewhat new to maille in general, both the site and the craft. Unfortunately I don't have a pair of calipers... Yet. Your guidance is most appreciated. I'll hold off on any change suggestions until I have the necessary instruments, and a variety of different materials, to test the limits of a weave in detail. All of my measurements are still based on figures collected from a variety of sources and also based on mandrel diameters. I do look forward to probing the precise end of the spectrum when it comes to weaving though. I also look forward to learning from those more experienced than I. Thanks again for your speedy reply, and I will definitely take all you said into consideration.

Janus0816

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon May 28, 2012 3:35 am

Janus0816: No problem. We were all new at this in the beginning. I can't even tell you how much I DIDN'T know in the beginning. I have learned so much from the people here on MAIL. And I still have TONS to learn. I love when people post things like this! It shows that you are thinking about the details and that you are trying to understand. That means a lot! Don't let my comment deter you from exploring and discovering the wonderful things about chainmaille! Really! Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1