Ring Size question for Japanese 12 in 2
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Ring Size question for Japanese 12 in 2
Posted on Thu May 10, 2012 11:20 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I haven't been weaving 12 in 2 long and I'm working on a handflower. I've been working with 18g 3/16" and 20g 1/8" for bracelet/necklace sized pieces. The nickel silver I used first fit together great but the anodized aluminum was a tad floppy with the same ring sizes. Anyway, my problem is that I need to make the finger ring. I ordered 20g 3/32" to connect my 20g 1/8" but they proved the wrong size. I'd like a recommendation for 12 in 2 ring sizes suitable for a finger ring. I imagine the 18g I have would work but it seems like it would be too chunky for a ring. Thoughts and advice would be much appreciated. Smile

~Aaron

Submissions: 84

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 5:04 am

20awg 5/32" might or might not work with the 20awg 3/32", ring sizes vary significantly in smaller sizes. 20awg 3/16" will work for sure.

Submissions: 36

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 5:49 pm

To get some more ideas you could go over to the weave page and hover over the AR range. This will give you a variety of different ring and wire choices that might help you out.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 150

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 6:32 pm

Just do the maths. You have to fit 12 small rings into the large ones - so (using metric, but I could use decimal inch as well) I calculate as follows:

• 20awg = 0.8mm
  • 12*0.8mm = 9.6mm 'centerline circumference'
  • divide by pi to get 'minimum centerline diameter' = 3.06mm
  • add one wire diameter (=two times half diameter) to get the circular 12-ring arrangement's outer tangent diameter = 3.86mm
  • next larger standard size is 5/32" (3.97mm).
Given, that springback adds more ring circumference, than saw kerf reduces it, 5/32" mandrel diameter for the large rings will fit small rings made from 20awg/0.8mm wire. In case of dead-soft Copper or Fine Silver it could become too tight (at estimated 0.2 mm saw kerf); but any halfways springy material will give you enough space. Note also, that even minimally thicker small-ring wire results in a no-go situation.

You should note additionally, that this calculation is valid only for 12in1, so for 12in2 some further diameter reserve is needed. I could show the needed maths as well (it's simple geometry), but tell you simply to add around six percent to the needed large ring's inner diameter - in this case this would result in a NEEDED large rings' inner diameter of 4.10 millimeters - chose the mandrel that allows to achieve that with your given wire, and cutting method. To be on the safe side, at least 11/64" amongst the standard mandrel sizes should always suffice.

So if in doubt, use a caliper to make precise small-ring wire diameters measurements, and do the maths.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 84

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 11:09 pm

I think your right Zili, better safe then sorry. Like I tried to fit 1.2mm wire 1/8" in a 5/32" and all I could get was a Japanese 5 in 2. So I would guess you need at least 0.6mm wire to make a Japanese 12 in 2 in the 5/32". What do ya'll think about how it would work out in 0.6mm? we are talking about a finger ring right? TRL gives no stats on 0.6mm 5/64"(I guess any stats at that size would be inconsistent at best), I was thinking for the small rings. IDK my head hurts.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Sat May 12, 2012 8:41 am

For finger rings the maille rings cannot be small enough, in my opinion - you don't want a 'fat' fingerring. Choose the smallest rings that you can yet work just halfways convenient with - Jap allows preclosing the small rings, what eases up the task a bit. But be aware of the workload associated with a smaller ring size, nevertheless - in the end a finger ring can become much more laborious than even a wide bracelet, due to the ring count. But it's usually worth the effort. Been there, done that.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat May 12, 2012 3:47 pm

http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=6125

This is the only example using Japanese weaves for finger rings that I could find.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Mon May 14, 2012 2:03 am

Thanks everyone for your responses. This really is a great community, which is why in part I asked what I did instead of tracking down the math. I always appreciate your wealth of knowledge, Zili. I'm reminded of a math teacher telling his kids, "show your work." That was a great suggestion, by the way, MusicMan to check out ring size suggestions over the weave's suggested AR's. I've been using my phone a lot lately for web work since our computer has been loopy. It's a bit limiting, but I'll check that out before it conks out again. Looking at the nearby rings, I also figured the 20 5/32" would work, djgm. I actually have some from another project and used some 20 5/32" for a GSG ring I just made. And I love the jap rings you posted, Lorraine. Unless that model's hand is fairly dainty, those larger rings look about 18g. I'll post the handflower when I finally finish it. I'm using a Fender pick for the centerpiece.

Posted on Mon May 14, 2012 2:07 am

And as if I looked in the answers section of the book, the size for the larger ring suggested by the weave's AR for 20g is 11/64". Yeah, the 20g 1/8" (what amounts to 8/64) didn't work.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1