MAIL Finances
Posted on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:11 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Finances have been pretty boring.

In the last 12 months we have:
+ $15 - donation from Dana Pasternack

No expenses

Balance of about $1600

Can we please spend some money on something?

At present we have no need for donations as we never spend any money.

If nothing else if we set up prizes/scholarships/whatever TRL will sell MAIL materials at cost with proof of cost to the BOD and no public mention required. If we make it then cost is material cost only.

Jon Daniels
The Ring Lord
http://www.theringlord.com

Submissions: 20

Re: MAIL Finances
Posted on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:14 pm

TheRingLord wrote:
Can we please spend some money on something?

At present we have no need for donations as we never spend any money.

If nothing else if we set up prizes/scholarships/whatever TRL will sell MAIL materials at cost with proof of cost to the BOD and no public mention required. If we make it then cost is material cost only.

I would like to suggest a few things, actually.

Once MAIL 3.0 is complete, and the code base is no longer a nightmare... I would like to look into switching web hosts. Our present host is really starting to get to me... We could likely find something comparable, or slightly more money that offers more/unlimited storage (and the bandwidth to back it up) with better reliability.

Re: Prizes/Scholarships/etc... I'd love to see prizes exist in some form.. The Gallery Contest is a prime location for this... It would encourage a lot more interest... I would (personally) prefer something more long-lived than supplies for contest winners... I have often pondered an official "shirt" or some such from our CafePress... Though tools or mandrels would also be possible.

If we were to offer prizes for the gallery contest, I would like to see previous contest winners offered something as well, to prevent sore feelings.

That aside, thanks for the report Jon Very Happy

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:29 am

Kim asked for some numbers for yearly donations...

Well the data set is not consistent. While I can crunch the numbers I can tell you the numbers don't mean much and here is why.

In a publicly funded environment you normally don't get more money if you don't spend the money you have. If Mailleartisans needs money to survive then donors will appear to meet the need. this is not a guess - I personally give my word that they money will be their for mission critical expenses.

We have $1600 in the bank - donations are at a standstill and likely will be until we spend some money.

I suggest we come up with a plan to spend it. I think the contests are as good a way as any to spend spend money. We can invest in a 10 year domain registration. Pay some server bills.

Jon Daniels
The Ring Lord
http://www.theringlord.com

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:42 am

Jon is right. I have donated the last couple of years, but if we don't spend the money on something, we don't get anymore donations. Is Blaise being covered for the yearly hosting bill? He should be! I have no idea what to spend the money on. I'm not fond of making the contests for cash or equivalent prizes. I don't know what else to spend the money on. Any suggestions? I know chao has suggested a scholarship... but I don't know how that would work.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 17

Posted on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:03 am

So... we have money we don't know what to do with it, and we have to spend it in order to get money we wouldn't know what to do with it?

I suggest to use MAIL funds to make a donation to MAIL.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:12 pm

thank you jon,

i was hoping to get an idea of what we can afford for yearly hosting costs. i don't know that i'm ready to start giving things away in the form of prizes.. people had a low response to this when we polled the community before.

eventually we will switch hosts. when we do make that switch, it would be nice if lotos already had approval to spend up to a certain amount when he goes looking at hosts. to hear the story, we are near our bandwidth cap. it would seem, when we switch servers, the site will need a higher tier of service to continue to grow.

ultimately, MAIL expenditure increases should be going through a BOD approval process. i am attempting to lay the groundwork for that.

and.. if blaise isn't getting reimbursed for hosting costs.. we should vote and cut the man a second check! we evened things up a couple years ago, but haven't really kept up with this that i know of.

i really like the 10 year domain registration idea.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 25

Posted on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:47 pm

I worry about setting up anything that incurs "running costs". It is good to be in the black but anything non-essential that chews away at that could become an issue. What we're going for here is longevity.

The site is a resource. Anything that helps further the accessibility of that resource and helps "future proof" it should be considered.

Firstly I would suggest listening closely to our resident web-wizard. a more secure system (with better back up facilities) is an investment in the future.

After that my eye is drawn to the tag line at the top of the page:

"M.A.I.L. (Maille Artisans International League) is an international community of artisans and volunteers dedicated to the advancement of the chainmaille artform. We aim to encourage the sharing and spreading of information, archiving as many techniques and weaves as possible"

So, spreading, sharing and archiving. How best to do that eh? Prizes? Well it does occur to me that we have something of a limited sharing capability here. I.E. you have to have some electrical power, have a net connection and the server has to be up. We take these 3 things for granted of course.

An archive is nothing without accessibility, imagine a chainmaille resource accessible in a reenactors field, or viewable by candle light and nothing else? Might I suggest a chainmaille bible, a binder that has a basic getting started section then optional supplements on different weaves.

So if something catastrophic ever happens there are many copies of the best information on the site floating around the world. Also if better (or more complete) information is found, then entire sections can be replaced without reprinting already accurate material.

Maybe even printable pdf that are page formatted to a one size fits all; a4, letter, legal, ledger etc. So you supply the information that people can then print. There would be a lot you COULD do but I think it maybe a worth while project.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1