How do you 'store' your mandrels?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 16

How do you 'store' your mandrels?
Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:37 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Yesterday I got my own mandrel-set from charlie's chaincraft (the 81 pieces one) and I'm just crazy about it. Formerly, I mostly used nails and stuff like that (even some houshold-items 'accidently' lost a piece or two Coif LoL )... and with that, it was easy to find the one i needed (but mostly, the one i needed didn't exist -.-)... now with this rather large set, I feel overwhelmed and asked myself how other store their sets or find the ones they need quickly.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:40 pm

Well, I admit that I don't have a huge assortment yet, but since mine are all stamped with the size (not sure if yours are too), I just let them live in a large tool box.

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:16 pm

Erm, they are labeled, yes, and some of 'em in inch. The others are labeled, too, but I do not know of it is actually a system used by anyone besides charlies chaincraft.... but for both; they don't give me much clue (for me, inch was always nothing more then the funny scale on the wrong side of the ruler ^^), besides to find the right one using the chart i received with my order (that one is actually brilliant, because it shows inch and mm).
For now, i sorted them as 1,x mm, 2,x mm, 3,x mm, 4,x mm, 5,x mm, 6,x mm and then the rest... works better now.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:38 pm

If you know someone who might sew something like this up, narrow, appropriate slots of course...

I've considered offering this type of mandrel roll and I've talked to, made inquiries for estimates from a dozen or so people that might be able to handle the job...lowest price per piece was $40, highest $$65, and this would be for a 20+ piece order....just don't know if the interest is there for the price?

I would be willing to make the investment if I had at least 10 confirmed orders, this would be mander roll, 100 slots, oil cloth/canvas to help protect from moisture...attention to detail as with everything I do, $40 + $5 shipping...?

Kodiak-

Sorry, this is kinda Trading Room faire-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Kodiak, you should definitely offer this for sale in the Trading Room. I for one would be interested.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 79

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:48 pm || Last edited by sakredchao on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

i have a few mandrel sets. i use pvc. i glue one end cap on. the other end fits snug enough. this allows me to have water-protected(ish) storage for my long and short mandrels. (not everywhere i work is as dry as i'd like.)

i suppose if i were ever to have a stable workshop i would consider another setup, but moving around as much as i do, it's perfect.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:49 pm

Thats a sweet design Kodiak - actually sewing is one of my hobbies, although it is far from that ^^ but I think I could make something like that (it just wouldn't look that nice ^^).
What would be the shipping for germany?

Submissions: 76

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:27 pm

This is convenient for finding the size you want quickly (sizes are written near the holes), but it takes up a lot of space in the work area. I like Kodiak's soft-roll idea (especially for shorter mandrels).

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:47 pm

The wooden block like Pfeiffer's there is a nice option, many design variables there....I made a set of stepped mandrels about 3-4 years back for Marc Palan, LuminosityFashions.com, he made 2 wood block holders I believe...really turned out good with the stepped length rods-

I think we could use the intn'l envelope for that Kleriker, would run @ $25 to Germany- ouch still...

I've got my mom's Bernina, very nice machine and would handle canvas, I need to leard to sew lol...

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 569

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:05 pm

Like this.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:41 pm

The idea with the wooden block is good, thought about that a lot, but the space-thing is the problem, I kinda like keeping things as small as possible and the wire, beads and so on take already a lot of space.

@Kodiak
I think I'll try to make something like that first, but if I fail, I'll come back to your idea - shipping is bad, but I didn't expect anything else... and hej, at least the euro is stronger then the dollar, so it evens out a bit Razz [/img]

Submissions: 149

Posted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:15 pm

Well, for transportation there's an easy, commercially available solution: Knife roll bags, that are available in sizes that suffice to store ~18" knives, and so also mandrels of that length. For home use I store my mandrels (that do not exceed that length) in a drawer of my work table, where I store also my clamp-on coiler, the electric drill, and a caliper. And my short mandrel sets are transfer punches, that are delivered in storage trays anyway, and reside on a shelf at my work place.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:00 pm

some other options are, paintball barrel cases/rolls (like the knife roll) cheap box end wrenches sometimes come in a roll as well, foam padded cases (brief case style) or gun cases, you can normally find these for around 20$, and you can also use them to store your pliers and cutters in as well. hard cases for pool que's smaller tool boxes, fishing tackle boxes. and really the list could go on, chances are if you took a trip to your local thrift store, or second hand store, more then likely your going to stumble across something that will work for you.

Submissions: 15

Posted on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Similar to the knife roll bag concept Zili mentioned, they make cloth roll-up bags for crochet needles that would work quite well for any smaller mandrels and would be very easy to find at any craft store.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:17 pm

I use an old barrel-style arrow quiver, it's treated and sealed to help keep moisture out.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1