cutting large gauge wire
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

cutting large gauge wire
Posted on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:46 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

just wondering if any one has any advice on where to find flush cutters for larger guage wire all i can seem to find is cheap ones only good for 18 gauge at the largest also what is the best kind of saw for citting large gauge wire Confused i hope this is in the right section if not please let me know i am new to the whole forum thing

Submissions: 100

Posted on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:57 pm

What metal are you trying to cut?

Posted on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:25 pm

i am just getting started with chain mail and jewelry making was looking for some all purpose ideas when i posted this i had not seen the faq section which has provided me with some great answers. But wish that the section on tools had links to sites where the tools mentioned by name could be purchased. Cutters

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:14 pm

I daresay that the reason why no particular vendors are listed are so that it doesn't look the admin of this site are endorsing any particular person/company. I've found that a google search for specific things tend to bring up several such so you might try that. Smile

Submissions: 100

Posted on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:53 pm

If you are wondering The Ring Lord carries the Knipex and saws. The other stuff can be bought at hardware stores for the most part.

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:06 am

cutting options and equipment vary, personaly I like saw cut rings useing a motor driven slitting saw.

There are a lot of options on how to make the blade spin depending on what your cutting and how much volume you need. Jumpring cutters designed for dremels or fordom tools won't do long coils or hard metals.

Frame saws work very well if you just need a few rings but it can take time for larger projects. I use mine a lot more for pierce work, The TRL blades are OK for soft metals but more expencive blades preform better.

pliers and snips work well but its not the look I want for silver or other highend jewlery.
cobolts from knipex are very good but you pay for the quality.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:41 am

Mr_Windows wrote:
i am just getting started with chain mail and jewelry making was looking for some all purpose ideas when i posted this i had not seen the faq section which has provided me with some great answers. But wish that the section on tools had links to sites where the tools mentioned by name could be purchased. Cutters

There are a few reasons we don't have a "recommendations" listing for tools or other things.
1. People's opinions change sometimes as they try new tools. (I know mine have.) Plus new people come along all the time and let us know about tools we've never heard of or have ever used.
2. There are different tools for different tasks that don't always work interchangeably.
3. MAIL doesn't generally allow advertising except on the links page or in The Trading Room.
4. Links have a way of changing and then we have a bunch of dead links to tools and such.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 42

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:31 pm

For my large gauge, 3.22mm, copper wire I like to use a hacksaw. I try to find the thinnest blade possible and it has worked out rather well. Here are some pictures.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:38 pm

18 gauge is realy not that larger usualy about .0403 for AWG or .049 SWG
there are other guage's but those two are the most common for wire.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:01 pm

True 18 gauge is not very large, but 8 gauge is which is what I posted above. Coif LoL

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Now that is quite a beefy chain, MM. Smile Presuming it's a wallet chain, does it make your pants fall down with the weight? Coif LoL

Submissions: 16

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:49 pm

I recently made a chunky walletchain with byzantine knot (weights about 290gramm, a bit more then half a pound) - sometimes, it is kinda nice and a real eye-cather (but yeah, the belt needs to be locked good ^^).

As for cutting large wire sizes, i can second MM's idea, although I have no experience with that large wiresize, I often use my hecksaw for cutting metal-rods (up to 1cm) and it goes really smooth and fast (with a really nice cut).

Submissions: 149

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:16 pm

I used my jeweller's saw frame for cutting my 3.6mm (~7awg) Copper wire - with the thickest Very Happy metal blade I had around (1/0 or so). And it worked astonishingly well and easy, with a bit lube. And yes - even a JPL (I made a similar piece like MM) becomes a hefty, chunky one, with significant weight. A maille belt helps to take the load. Smile

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1