Cutting Very Small SS Rings
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Cutting Very Small SS Rings
Posted on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:43 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

So, I started making stainless steel chains/jewelry about a month ago. Mostly larger stuff: A wallet chain, 3/16" 16g bracelet out of Euro 4 in 1, etc.

I just recently got into making smaller jewelry, and it's not going nearly as well. The problem I'm having is cutting any rings smaller than 3/16". I've been using some mini bolt cutters, and they work wonderfully for the bigger stuff, but they can't fit inside of the smaller rings.

I have a jeweler's saw(bought it with my first set of tools, it's never worked well with the stainless) and some diagonal cutters, but the cutters are tiny and really cheap, so they can barely even mark the steel.

I've seen some talk about grinding down cutters to make them fit, but I don't have a grinder, and I'm not sure how the bolt cutters would hold up to it if I did.

Does anyone have any tricks to help with this, short of buying a Dremel and setting up a machine cutting rig? I don't have much money to work with, but I could probably muster up $40-50 if I absolutely have to.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:11 am

try the score and break method with an end cutting pliers

http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=9334

http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=8002

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:33 am

Well, that's working reasonably well. It's a lot slower than I'm used to(ripping through 16g with bolt cutters is pretty quick), but the rings come out nicely and I wasn't expecting to spit them out as quickly anyway.

Thanks for the info, it will definitely make my upcoming projects much easier.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1