Saw Cutting Issues
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:43 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Granted, the pond pumps are made for water, but ... they are cheap 10$ a pop. but you are right they will go out eventually, i have known, ones in place in a manufacturing setup, on a metal cutting band saw to last 6 months to a year before needing to be replaced. but then again it also depends on how you mix your cutting fluid and the viscosity, the semi synthetic i have used said you could either mix 4:1 or 5:1 and at either mixture the pond pumps worked well. you can buy quite a few pond pumps for what one coolant pump costs.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:41 am

You could use an aquarium air pump to avoid the effects of the oil on any susceptible materials. Simply put, half fill a (semi-)rigid container with cutting fluid, pump air into it and have the fluid exit via another tube. Using a bleed -off valve for the air line will control flow rates.

A second reservoir for the return oil (that will not flow back into the container due to the now positive air pressure) can be switched to be the pumping reservoir with a cheap 3 way valve set-up. The valves are pennies as the air pressure is quite low. Avoid trying to push the fluid up too high as the bellows on these pumps fail quicker the higher the back pressure.

Alternatively, buy a brand-name pond pump whose manufacturers will supply replacement parts. I'm guessing it would be the plastic impeller blades that would rot.

The right answer depends upon asking the right question. The right answer depends upon the specific situation. There's rarely a 'right' answer but listen to both experience and opinions equally.

Submissions: 0

How's it working?
Posted on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:46 pm

So how is your new system working so far P?

Submissions: 76

Posted on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:35 pm

here is a link to the video, cutting stainless steel (1/16th inch wire wound on 1/4" mandrel):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/preciousquail/6858856321/
There is nothing more I could ask for with this set up.

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2