nail stuff
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Wire Arts

Submissions: 3

nail stuff
Posted on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:49 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

i have been busy, found a box of horseshoe nails and decided to have some fun with them.

please leave feedback im about to make a commitment to make a bulk amount of these to sell at a horse convention. i need to know if people other than those i know like these. thank you all input is appreciated.

keep in mind these are first attempts, they will get better with practice.

-42-the meaning of life, the universe, and everything

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:07 pm

I like the designs. The one thing I would be critical about is how you are choosing to place the wire ends in your wraps. With wrapping, you need to decide which side of the piece is the "back". All of the starts and ends of your wraps should be on the back. If you don't have a nook or cranny to neatly tuck the wire in, then you should file the end down until it is smooth and won't catch on skin or clothing. Then press the end down gently with your pliers so that it looks neat and tidy.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:14 pm

The designs are very good. Though i agree with lorraine that you need to find a crevice of some sort to tuck you ends under. It will give a much more flowing look to the hard work you put in. I think they should sell well for a horse show, one thing ive seen that you may want to try that i know sells well. Try bending some of your nails through a horse shoe and wrap it in a unique way, alot of people will buy it simply to hang over a door in the barn. So as long as the price isnt crazy high for the product you should have no problems selling.

Hex

Posted on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 pm

thanks for the tip, i will work on that. i made these in a bit of a hurry to see if i could do it right. so next time i will slow down and hide the ends.

lorraine do you have a link so i can see those shoes?

Posted on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Something like this might come in handy: http://www.how-to-make-jewelry.com/wire-weaving-techniques.html

I like them, too, especially the last one. These don't look overly complicated or time consuming, more fun to make pieces.

Only one word can make me angry, and trust me dear, you can't pronounce it.

Posted on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 pm

kaeru wrote:

I like them, too, especially the last one. These don't look overly complicated or time consuming, more fun to make pieces.

they are fun to make, i started making them just to see if i could and the next thing i knew a bunch of people wanted something.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Those are really attractive. Smile I especially like the heart.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:04 pm

Ahhh, now I have more ideas for that box of nails I keep moving around in my work room. These are nice and with the suggestions that you tuck in the wire ends they should do well at the horse show and any other show. I especially like the chain with the nails as links.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1