M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 20

Rememberance Day/Veterans Day/Etc
Posted on Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:07 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

So, there is a holiday upon us.

In the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth it is known as Rememberance Day
In The US it is Veterans Day
In New Zealand, France, Belgium it is known as Armistice Day.

The premise is the same the world over, a few minutes of silence to remember those that gave their lives so that future generations might live in peace.

I ran sound for a Corporate Client the other day who had rented our theatre for their annual General Meeting... They were a gorcery store chain, and at the end of the day told a story and played a video...

I would like to share it for all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYlrrAWCTRg
I also suggest reading the story below the video after watching it.

While Rememberance Day officially exists to mark the end of the First World War, it has come to be a day of rememberance for all veterans of all past wars.

‘Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few.’

I don't support war, I never have, and I never will. But I am not so blind to recognize when it was the only way, and was a necessary means to an end... So this November Eleventh, take a moment to look at the world around you, and be thankful to the many that gave their lives so that you might exist in relative peace.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:22 am

Thanks for posting that, DL. What an amazing song and an important message. Many members of my family served and I'm constantly working over on the naval base, getting to see our servicemen and women coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan. They deserve all the respect we civvies can muster.

Submissions: 294

Posted on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:41 am

Never Forget

image from UK national newspaper and not subject to copyright

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:12 pm

What everyone can agree on, is that in times of war sacrifices have to be made.
But too often forgotten, is that to keep peace sacrifices are needed as well.
Not to give way to useless pride, greed or feelings of nationality, to name only a few. These very feelings that make us the fragile and vulnerable beings we are.
Our soldiers take the responsibility for our lives and the lives of our children, so I take responsibility of their lives' and try to make the best (political) decisions possible so they do not die and fight in vain.
That is the responsibility and right of every citizen in every democratic nation.

30th November is the day Winter War started; my country was to be Stalins birthday present. Soviet foreign minister Molotov bragged how they'd be having drinks in our capital city in two weeks time.
So we fixed him a drink.
All hail veterans, all hail freedom.

Only one word can make me angry, and trust me dear, you can't pronounce it.

Submissions: 294

Posted on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:32 pm

Justa few miles from me.
Stocklinch (near Illminster) does not have a war memorial, this is a good thing. It is one of only 14 villages in the UK where everyone came home safe from the war. Stocklinch is twice thankful as all came home safe from WWI & WWII
http://www.hellfirecorner.co.uk/TV/stocklinch.htm

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 95

Posted on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:44 pm

kaeru wrote:
What everyone can agree on, is that in times of war sacrifices have to be made.
But too often forgotten, is that to keep peace sacrifices are needed as well.

Well said. It infuriates me to no end when I hear people speaking with utter disrespect and contempt towards our men and women in military when they are out there risking their lives so that those same loud mouths can live in safety.

So to all those that serve or have served or are considering serving in the military, you have my utmost respect and deepest thanks.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Submissions: 36

Posted on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:43 pm

You all have said it so beautifully I know that I can't add any more than to say. THANK YOU!

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 11

Posted on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:48 am

My dad was commenting recently about how when they came home from Vietnam, he and his contemporaries were looked down upon, spit on, etc. and now every soldier is a hero. I looked at him and said, "But that's a good thing!" People who serve should be treated well for all that they do.

Submissions: 36

Posted on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:26 pm

Jax - my dad says the same thing. I think that we need to let them know that while they were treated poorly when they came back if it wasn't for them we would not have the life we have now and we are trying to learn from our mistakes and treat veterans better now. Thank him for putting up with that for me.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 16

Posted on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:04 pm

Because I'm not from America (but Germany) I have some different views, but I see that armys are needed like policemen. Is it a good thing that they are needed? Of yourse not. But because they are needed, it is good that they exist. And for that I think they deserve every respect and thanks for what they do.
And for all the things the people in other nations say about America - I just want this fact to be considered, not really discussed here - I for myself am very thankful for the things the American, the British, the French and the Russian soldiers and people have done for us and everyone in the world. This is - of course - not the only moment in history that deserves thanks, but it's the most important to me.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1