Greetings and Salutations
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Greetings and Salutations
Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:19 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have been on here a few months but don't think I have said "hi" yet, so hi!

I am a relative newbie to "maille." I taught myself to do it last year. I have no problems with difficult patterns and weaves but if it is simple I am going to have problems doing it.

Believe it or not I am having a difficult time mastering the 4 in 1.

Brigid

Creative people need maids

Submissions: 6

Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Welcome to the party! Mastering 4-1 is just a matter of finding your own way that works for you. Some folks like to pre-close rings, some don't. Some folks like to expand it horizontally, some prefer vertically. Keep playing with it and eventually you'll find a groove that works for you.

Glad to meet you!

Andre

Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:06 pm

Welcome to the addiction Brigid. What type of problems are you having with 4-1? and are we talking japenese or europeon?

Hex

Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:16 pm

And greetings to you too, Brigid. You're even in the same time zone as me, which is a novelty these days.

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well with the weaves, you might be surprised to hear that more than a few newcomers find the more complex weaves easier than the "basic" E4-1 weave (I'm assuming it's European 4-1 you're having trouble with). I gather it's because it's easier to keep track of which ring goes where when they are all in different places, rather than just a flat sheet of identical rings.

Anyway, like Andre has said already, just find a method that works for you. For starting out, I often recommend using a pegboard to keep your work flat and the rings straight. It's how I learnt when I was just starting out, and may help you work out your own routine, too.

Other than that, just leave your sanity by the door. You won't need it in here...

"I think I know what I did wrong!"

Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks for the lovely welcome everyone.

It is the Euro 4-1 that is the offender. Actually I always have an easier time do difficult things than easy ones, not just in chainmaille.

It is an addiction just like my leather, painting, writing, viking weave and now chainmaille.

I am amazed at the little figures that people make out of maille.

Brigid

Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:20 pm

It is the Euro 4-1 that is the offender. Actually I always have an easier time do difficult things than easy ones, not just in chainmaille.

It is an addiction just like my leather, painting, writing, viking weave and now chainmaille.

Brigid

Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:21 pm

Brigid

Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:31 pm

Since E4-1 is the culprit I would say go with the peg board idea. It never seemed to help me but I have taught several people it has helped.

To echo what every one else is saying, just find a way to make it yours. There is no wrong or right when it comes to technique in my opinion...

Hex

Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:46 pm

I think the problem is I am intent on doing a specific design in two or more colours. Although after being on here and fooling around I may have solved the problem, I hope.

As for checking my sanity at the door that is long gone.

I find it funny how people look at what I do in mail and adding crystals and beads and they say, "you open and shut all of those and put it together. That looks insane and impossible to do"

Insane maybe, impossible no but definitely time consuming and fun.

It is nice to meet other lunatics on here. Laughing

Plasmafields, I have been to Idaho actually I have pretty well been to most of the Northern States. Most of my US friends are not in my time zone, rare is correct on that.

Brigid Coif LoL

Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:07 pm

I get that sometimes. I also have people ask me where I bought my 'berk from. Because nobody could actually _make_ something with 35,000 rings in it, could they?

I have a friend from college (in London) who now works for RIM in Waterloo, we used to joke about how far west he'd moved. Now he jokes I only moved to ID to beat him.

If you're trying to make an inlay, that's a whole different kettle of fish. Well, actually, it's not, it's still E4-1, but working out which ring goes where can be quite tricky. Have you tried IGP? There are some serious inlay experts (whose boots I am not fit to polish) here that can tell you everything you need to know.

So long as you're having fun, that's the main thing, right?

"I think I know what I did wrong!"

Posted on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:52 pm

Coif LoL People always think its more difficult than it is. The last person I taught is my 53 year old boss who never once thought it was possible for a "average" person to do. I agree an "average" person may have problems but the crazies seem to be good at it Razz

What exactly is your project your working on in E4-1? Knowing this may make it a bit easier to get some better advice.

Hex

Posted on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi & welcome Brigid Smile With all the experienced folks around these parts, I like having another newbie on the boards.

I've figured out that the world of maille is inhabited by the less- sane of us. Who else would spend hours at a time working with tiny rings, weaving it all together into different designs?

*~* I'm sarcastic & have a smart ass attitude. It's a natural defense against stupidity and drama. If you have a problem with that, do us both a favor & go away. *~*

Posted on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:55 pm

First, hi Jaimied, it is nice having another babe in the chainmaille woods here too.

In actuality it would be an inlay. I am making a necklace with a carved bone green man as the pendant. I planed on making the chain with chartreuse and dark green links, the dark green would be for little leaves.

I figure is is like beading only with links. In beading when doing a pattern, I have to graph it out and figure the width across and draw the picture on the graph. That way I know where the dark greens go in respect to the chartreuse ones.

Brigid Needlenose Pliers

Submissions: 11

Posted on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:45 pm

Brigid - When doing inlays, you're in luck. A fellow called Zlosk did all that work for you by developing a program called Irregular Grid Painter, which you can find here: http://www.zlosk.com/pgmg/igp/

I think I can go out on a limb and say that's what most maillers use to design their inlays...and it's a heck of a lot quicker than drafting it out on graph paper. Basically you bring an image into the program and it will give you the ring grid where the colors go. I believe it's one pixel per ring on the graph so if you need to change how big or small or the resolution of the inlay graph, you'd need to be able to change the size of your image in a program such as photoshop. Other than that, it is easy peasy. Smile

Submissions: 149

Posted on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:25 pm

...and to add to Jax' words: On Zlosk's site is also IGP2POV, that's even better, if you make E4-1 inlays, as it allows to define precisely the ring dimensions you use. All you need additionally then, is an installation of PovRay, to get really fine inlay previews...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next