What maille do you wear to work?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 6

What maille do you wear to work?
Posted on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:25 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I would really love to see what maille you guys wear to work and (vaguely) what sort of work you do.

Ok so I made a choker and started wearing it to work but I got a bit of stick about it (to be fair I work with all blokes and they like to take the mickey out of everything! Smile ). My partner says maybe it looks a bit dominatrixy -can't see it myself but hey!

Anyway so I've tried to make a couple more that are a bit more subtle/elegant.

Three strand byzantine tapering to a single strand (join shown in 2nd thumbnail). I like this but the strands keep rolling at the moment so it needs some modification.

Some sort of byzantine variant. I made an aluminium version of this when I was first learning maille and loved the design but wanted something with a bit more weight to it.

I have chosen to make my pieces out of stainless and titanium as I work in a lab and I wanted something hard-wearing. I also wear a niobium and sterling byzantine bracelet which I don't take off.

Looking forward to seeing your "work maille"!

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:00 pm

I find it funny that when someone sees a collar they think goth/punk/or something else that has nothing to do with it. Collars have been used forever in fashion. O yeah BTW they look great =)

Submissions: 149

Posted on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:12 pm

Being a male, there's no way to wear too flashy maille pieces. But anyway: I usually wear a long, claspless Stainless GSG5 necklace (no photo), a stretchy claspless 9-column GSG on right, and a similar 5-colum one at left wrist (photo shows both, worn on right arm for the photo). My Stainless maille finger ring, usually worn at left middle finger, is currently in repair, as I ripped it apart, so it's temporarily replaced by a non-maille, but braided Niobium finger ring. And last but not least: My maille belt, and a Titanium USB stick carry necklace (this is a photo I made before anodizing, just cannot find one made thereafter). And some key chains and other bits'n'pieces that are in daily use exist as well, but aren't shown now.

(Click images to enlarge)

Does that suffice? Laughing

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:18 pm

The only mail I wear to work is my watch chain, I regret I have no photo to show everyone, but it's nothing special. I can't take one now, all the silver has worn off. I shall be making a new one as soon as I get my next delivery from TRL, I'll take a picture then.

I did once sit an exam in full Norman, including 'berk, longsword and aventailled helm. That was fun, if hot and heavy. Passed with flying colours, too. I'm willing to lay real money that was the first time the hall's cloakroom had a real cloak in it!

Catastrophe, I love your choker. Take it from me, that's nowhere near scary enough to be dominatrixy!

"I think I know what I did wrong!"

Posted on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:30 pm

The only thing I wear on a day to day basis is a HP 3-1 bracelet made from 16ga 1/4" Spring Temper Stainless.

I'm rather attached to it, and don't go anywhere without it (no clasp, I just closed it permanently onto my wrist).

I work in an office.. How exciting.

Posted on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:06 pm

I usually wear a simple celtic visions bracelet I made out to 14g galvy. I just finished my first tie today so next week after my vacation who knows Coif LoL

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:31 am || Last edited by VikingJones on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total

I have a 16g copper JPL bracelet I wear if I wear anything. I think I've worn it a handful of times, maybe, and it's already almost black. Link to the picture since I don't want to mess with scaling one right now, link goes to dA It's not as dark in the picture as it is now. What can I say, I like my copper dirty. Oh, and I'm a stay-at-home-mom. So very glamorous. The only comments on my jewelry I get in real life are at the grocery store.

There ya have it. I like making jewelry but I sure don't wear much of it. Smile

Posted on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:43 am

I have a hefty 16 ga. 1/4" bronze roundmaille necklace that I wear quite often, als to to work.

Posted on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:19 pm

I sometimes wear my Dragonscale belt that was part of the belts theme competition. However I generally don't wear anything on my wrists or anything that hangs free from my body as my work does involve situations where that is dangerous.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:51 pm

My watch has a J12-1 (square) band on it. I wear it every day. I work in an office. Nobody notices, nobody cares, nowhere I've ever been, not ever.. I don't think people see it as adornment. Fine by me since I did it for myself to appreciate.

Those chokers are nice. Keep wearing them. If you haven't already, wear them for a few months and see if your coworkers stop noticing so much. They may have just given you a hard time about it because its their way of indicating that they noticed, but because its a business place, they can't compliment you directly.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:54 pm

I used to wear a titanium HP 4/1 bracelet but I'm not allowed to wear jewelry at work (freaking stupid uniform code Sad ). I wish I was!!

Posted on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:19 pm

Jax25 wrote:
I used to wear a titanium HP 4/1 bracelet but I'm not allowed to wear jewelry at work (freaking stupid uniform code Sad ). I wish I was!!

Just put a small medical alert tag on it. I don't think they could stop you from wearing it then.

Submissions: 6

Posted on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks for all your responses -some great ideas there Smile

I certainly won't stop wearing my japanese collar to work but I'm happy to mix it with other pieces -any excuse to make more maille!

Next ideas are Viperscale, Celtic Strap or Bethmoora. I'm thinking of V-shaped strap necklace.

I love metal Coif LoL

Submissions: 50

Posted on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:26 pm

Hoodoo wallet chain in TRL's 14g 1/4" machine cut stainless steel and bronze. Stainless for the rings running the length of the chain, bronze for the rings that run across.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Zncon wrote:
Jax25 wrote:

Just put a small medical alert tag on it. I don't think they could stop you from wearing it then.

Yes, I've had that idea - especially as I have an allergy to all derivatives of lidocaine - but I haven't yet gotten around to getting a tag to put on it.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next