My first 2 bracelets!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 0

My first 2 bracelets!
Posted on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:59 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello All! I'm a newbie here, and also a newbie to maille jewelry. Here are my first 2:

Box Weave with stainless steel, copper, and bronze

Byzantine with bronze and black enameled copper.

I already have a few orders from friends at work. I'm looking forward to this hobby, and it may make a buck or two!

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.

Posted on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:17 pm

Welcome to M.A.I.L. and to the world of maille... Nice looking pieces, let us know how it goes.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Nice first pieces! What rings sizes did you use? How did you pick them? The Box Chain looks especially nice with the rings you chose. I'm also curious about whether you wove the Box Chain by making European 4-1 and then stitching it up the side. Or did you build it "in-the-round" as you went? (I learned it in-the-round myself. I had no idea at the time that I was making four rows of E4-1 connected back onto itself.)

I prefer Byzantine with 2 connectors. Maybe it's the symmetry of it, with all the rings being paired and having a "mirror" of each other? I also think that three connectors forces the rings further apart and I like weaves to be tighter... But that's all just personal taste (and sometimes not having the right ring size you need). Please don't take that as personal criticism. I'm just rambling on with thoughts. Very Happy

Anyway, glad to hear people like your work and want to buy it. Don't undervalue yourself. Make sure you get enough money to continue your new addiction, and build up an inventory of rings for your new addiction, and get paid at least a little bit for your time (even though you enjoy your new addiction. Razz)

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:43 pm

lorraine wrote:
Nice first pieces! What rings sizes did you use? How did you pick them? The Box Chain looks especially nice with the rings you chose. I'm also curious about whether you wove the Box Chain by making European 4-1 and then stitching it up the side. Or did you build it "in-the-round" as you went? (I learned it in-the-round myself. I had no idea at the time that I was making four rows of E4-1 connected back onto itself.)

I did the same, I learnt how to make box in the round, and one fine day got commissioned to make several yards of the stuff for a set of manacles (a foot between the handcuffs, two feet between the ankles, four feet between the two, and three yards for a lead). After much swearing, a fellow mailler from Poland pointed out the obvious. And then it went much faster!

Very nice first attempts, I am curious about the clasp for the Byz chain, did you make that yourself too?

"I think I know what I did wrong!"

Submissions: 42

Posted on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Nice job! I really like the round one as well. The combination of colors and pattern of rings you chose are very nice. I would also be interested in you ring sizes.

Keep up the great work and keep on sharing

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:54 am

Thanks for the input!

I used 19ga, 3/16" ID rings from Ring Lord in Stainless, copper, and bronze. The enameled rings are also 19ga, 3/16" ID from Blue Buddah. The togles are also from Blue Buddah.

I assembled the box weave in the round. The next one I'll try Eu 4 in 1, then close. I bet that'll be alot faster, and be easier to keep track of the color pattern as well.

I realize that I need some better pliers. I'm using some cheapies from Harbor Freight, and they're not smooth jawed. Even with a THICK coat of tool magic, it's still easy to mangle the softer metals and the enamel coatings.

I quoted $40 for the bracelets to friends. Now I'm thinking I should have quoted a bit higher.

Now for #3, a byzantine in stainless and teal enameled copper for the missus. For #4 I'll try a captive inverted round maille.

Thans for all the words of encouragement!

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.

Posted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:17 pm

Is that $40 each, or $40 for both? Even at $40 for both ($20/ea) I think your prices are good. $40 each might be putting the price too high to maintain sales.

Submissions: 337

Posted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:41 pm

Great closures, which is awesome for the first two you've made Very Happy

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:57 pm

I guess I'm odd, but it would actually take me longer to use the zipper method than doing it "in the round" as Lorraine put it. Coif LoL

Anyway, those look great for first bracelets. Smile Cherish the orders from people at work (and their friends and family). That's where I've sold most of my pieces.

Posted on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:36 pm

I finished anotherbox weave. This one in bronze, stainless, and black enameled copper. Toggle is copper:

I might keep this one.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1