advertising
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:35 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

lorraine wrote:

Providing the link to MAIL is not "content we provided". As I stated earlier, "Using MAIL content that isn't yours, however, is a different story..."

If someone produces a brochure, with their own pictures and text, MAIL has no business demanding official "approval" before they can pass that brochure out. We are not the chainmaille police and we shouldn't be acting like we are. We should be providing the best information we possibly can about chainmaille, here on MAIL.

ok what is going to get us more traffic to our site, just a link to the mail site, or a nicly presented flier, brochure, or handout with a little back ground information about what chain mail is, maybe a little history behind it, and some facts and myths. now granted just the URL might grab a few peoples attention, but now a nicly done hand out, will grab even more attention and leave a lasting impression.

all i am saying here is that i think it would be a good idea to look into this and possibly creating some content for people to use as hand out for others who are interested in chain mail at the shows, faires, and conventions they go to. after all it dose say in our header "We aim to encourage the sharing and spreading of information" we have the digital media down, so now why not look into some other avenues as well.

Phong wrote:

I'd give pause before getting too eager about putting MAIL's logo on anything and everything without oversight.

one of the reasons i like the ideas of material being aproved or not. if some one wants to use the stock mail hand out that is all 100% content we provided then no aprovale would be needed. but now lets say this person wants to get creative, and rearrange the information, its the same information thats on the stock hand out, but just rearrange or reformatted to fit there design or layout. or if they want to go even one step further and replace all the chainmaile images in the stock hand out, with pieces of there own making. this would also require approval. in all instances, the SAME information is provided but just formatted/laid out differently.

Phong wrote:
I'd still be far more comfortable having people use MAIL-created material to hand out.

yes, but also we should give the end user a little freedom with creativity as well, to both help improve the information, and making it stand out in a crowd.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:55 am

Phong wrote:
I would still distinguish between 'telling people about MAIL' and 'putting MAIL's info on their own promotional material'. Whether it's intended or not, doing so uses MAIL to bolster their own business, and can easily give the impression that MAIL supports them in it.

I'd still be far more comfortable having people use MAIL-created material to hand out.

-phong

this is exactly what i am concerned about.

i would be willing to put up the money to get cards printed for MAIL that did not have any of my info on it.. but i want to specifically promote the idea of sculpture.. armor and jewelry get enough attention.

i live in a big art area. i'd love to see some of the local metalworkers start incorporating maille in their sculpture.

i attended a glass artist talk the other week. there was a guy up there talking about how he was hiding marbles everywhere. there was a lot of big money there listening to this guy talk about marbles. granted, they were pretty cool marbles.. but, if one of the big name artists began to use maille in their work, even if it was just bits here and there, it would greatly increase the general awareness of maille.

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
sakredchao wrote:
i want to put the url for the newbie page on the card.. did we ever get a copy of that locally so that it has a mailleartisans address? i never can find the link to that thing..

If you recall, last you and I spoke about this, we were discussing using a collaborative article as a 'newbie page'... This would allow it to be updated without needing someone (Myself or Blaise) to hard-modify code, to change it.
Since the Articles section hasn't been upgraded yet, this has yet to happen. Sad

The existing 'newbie' page is, you're quite correct, not hosted on our servers... To be honest, I can never remember where it is either. Coif LoL

I'm sure I can get some approximation of a local address done within the next three months, as always, "It's on the list"... But you'll need to remind me about it, I'm sure.

that's right.. well, iirc that page was hosted on phongs server.. with phongs permission i may try to translate that into an article. It is something i feel that we need and i'm happy to do what i can to get it functional.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 75

Posted on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 am

http://cgmaille.com/mailpages/mail-nubie-Phong-v1d.shtml

I have no problem having it turn into an article. The only thing that's mine is the E4-1/box/FP render, and I'm fine with donating that to MAIL.

I can put the files in a zip and send it to chao/DL if you guys like.

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Posted on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:21 am

some of those images are donated by members.. i should be using bbcode to point at the image in their account, not uploading new ones, right?

so, i think all i need to grab is the text and one or two images..

=========

even if we don't try to approve every brochure, i feel that dravin is right.. some suggested text and images might help keep things accurate. we can't enforce anything, but if we offer it up, people may use it.

Posted on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:04 pm

i'm about a month out from ordering these cards (i hope)..

once i order cards, i will distribute them all (2000-2500), regardless of discussions that take place after the order date. i am happy to redesign for a second/third run. i am more than happy to work with the membership on what goes into the first run.

the core issue, to me, is: do we allow personal promotion to be blended with MAIL promotion?

if no, we should alter/remove the brochure that is available for download.

if yes, do we want to encourage any guidelines?

sorry to push this issue, but i'm on a mission.

Posted on Thu May 19, 2011 3:11 pm

i am taking a lack of discussion on this as approval, considering the established precedent of the brochure david austin developed and we have hosted for years...

i will be ordering the cards early monday morning.

M.A.I.L
Maille Artisans International League
www.mailleartisans.org
www.mailleartisans.org/beginner.htm

Free online maillecraft resource

Kim Chatfield - member (sakredchao)
sakredchao at yahoo dot com
(575) - phone

The cards may contain a color watermark image (that i own) behind my information

after the order is placed, any dissent will be met with a halfhearted smile.
once the cards are ordered, i will distribute them all before reconsidering the content.

i realize that there has been dissent.. however, if we aren't going to take steps to either formulate and hold a vote, or at least have an active discussion, i am assuming that the interest in this topic is marginal.

not trying to be rude, but i do have a mission, and right now i'm writing the MAIL address on my personal business cards when people are interested.

thanks,
kim

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu May 19, 2011 5:15 pm

sakredchao wrote:
i am taking a lack of discussion on this as approval, considering the established precedent of the brochure david austin developed and we have hosted for years...

i will be ordering the cards early monday morning.

M.A.I.L
Maille Artisans International League
www.mailleartisans.org
www.mailleartisans.org/beginner.htm

Free online maillecraft resource

Kim Chatfield - member (sakredchao)
sakredchao at yahoo dot com
(575) - phone

The cards may contain a color watermark image (that i own) behind my information

after the order is placed, any dissent will be met with a halfhearted smile.
once the cards are ordered, i will distribute them all before reconsidering the content.

i realize that there has been dissent.. however, if we aren't going to take steps to either formulate and hold a vote, or at least have an active discussion, i am assuming that the interest in this topic is marginal.

not trying to be rude, but i do have a mission, and right now i'm writing the MAIL address on my personal business cards when people are interested.

thanks,
kim

Suggest you hold off, at least until I get back to Canada...
The URL for the beginners page will likely be http://www.mailleartisans.org/beginner/ or possibly... http://www.mailleartisans.org/beginner.php... I'm not entirely sure yet, and likely won't be until I have access to my desktop.

It will NOT be the URL you are thinking of including, sorry... HTML "soft" redirects are a horrid idea, from both a site-resource perspective, as well as a search engine friendly perspective... We do want the beginner page to be easily accessible...

I'd hate to see you with a box full of cards with an invalid URL on them.

Posted on Thu May 19, 2011 5:21 pm

now, -that- is a fine reason to wait. will do.

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2