Recent Spam Accounts
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:21 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Kleriker wrote:
*thinks he knows*
Captcha = you know... the stupid pics of numbers and letters you have to read and type in to proof that you're a human being (and you can't read them half the time xD) [the thing about 'stuipid pics' is not intended as an critisism against DL's action... sadly, it is needed...]
and what he means is that there are programs out there which can read those pics and make it possible for spam-bots to register and spam on captcha-secured pages [implying the fact that the numbers of spam-accounts didn't drop after upgrading the site].

At least that is what I think he wanted to say... and I hope I made myself clear (I'm not very good at this, not even in german xD)

Close.
The 'type' of spam account changed, when I changed captcha style. After a day or two of hiatus... Indicating whoever was spamming us stopped, or changed tactics... and/or a new source took up the fight.

Captcha's are traditionally not solved via OCR... Though I'm certain some of them are solveable. You get a far higher accuracy rating by paying pennies per 'solve' and farming the work out to 'companies' in China, whose sole source of income is being paid to have people sit and stare at a screen for hours, matching these captchas.

It's a sad reality... And something I'm working on.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Yeah, I know that not all capchas work perfect... theres even a firefox add-on with which you can disable some of 'em (although I never tried it... hence, how often do you really have to do with those things? but the responses of some of the sites who tried were promising).

Wouldn't some kind of e-mail verification work? Sadly, I don't know much 'bout spam-bots (or the like)... or would it just make it more labourius for a real person?

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:28 pm

Kleriker wrote:
Yeah, I know that not all capchas work perfect... theres even a firefox add-on with which you can disable some of 'em (although I never tried it... hence, how often do you really have to do with those things? but the responses of some of the sites who tried were promising).

Wouldn't some kind of e-mail verification work? Sadly, I don't know much 'bout spam-bots (or the like)... or would it just make it more labourius for a real person?

It would make it more labourious, and since it takes 30 seconds to set up a Gmail or Hotmail account... Net result: More people avoiding signing up.

Once I upgrade to phpBB3, we'll be able to require first time users posts to be 'approved' by a moderator... Set a low threshold, say their VERY first post. And that should help.

For now, I've just modified the signup page to include three VERY simple questions about maille... We'll see if that helps.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:52 pm

"Truth Justice and the American Way" Laughing love it!
Had to see this :-p I think that is a really good solution, hope it helps Wink
(also; good to know that AdBlockPlus didn't let the Captcha disappear... had the problem once singing up a site and had to start over again...)

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2