Articles wanted!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 0

From a beginners point of view...
Posted on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:40 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello, I am very new, and have had some help with some questions already.

After reading your request for articles, all I can do is suggest. When I become an expert, hopefully I'll be able to write some for newbies.

In my quest to learn, I have perused many web sites. There have been a few that want to sell the rings and tutorials etc., and of course have put together fine kits. I am a little short on cash (very short) and am doing what I can in learning, as this is real good therapy for me. I have found it difficult to make things I want sometimes because as I do it I am understanding that I do not have the right size materials.

All of these issues are discussed somewhere on this site if I look long enough. I really like and have the patience for this. Others may not. The articles and tutorials are great.

My suggestion: Put together a tutorial for a beginner of say three projects. In the tutorial list suppliers for what they need, along with a list of what they need, so they can get the rings quickly and start creating. Then, once they are successful, it's only natural to want to learn all the technical stuff, and of course learn how to make their own rings etc.

A beginners kit. All the tutorials and list of supplies to complete three projects, and a few suggestions as to where to get them.

A beginners +kit: a set of tutorials. Perhaps three more weaves (easy) and a list of supplies that this time include making your own rings. Or the same three weaves used in a different format. Earrings, bracelets, necklace etc. Build upon the first lessons.

I am extremely new, and love this. I will put together a tutorial if it's not done by someone who already knows, as soon as I know. I would love to be a part of the education. I love this.

Cindy

Posted on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:29 am

Hm....Sounds like a good idea, particularly because there's another thread asking about good weaves to learn that's currently active. It'd be a good place to answer that question.

My question is, do we start with "Materials: wire, mandrel, cutters" or "Materials, 500 rings Xcm wire Ycm inner diameter, pliers"?

Submissions: 39

Posted on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:07 pm

If you are looking for beginning /intermediate information some of us started a "beginning book" of sorts. There are tutes and everything, stop on over and check it out if you would like. Look on the left under "Rough Draft" here is a link to the Table of Contents page.

http://chainsmith.wetpaint.com/page/Table+of+Contents

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Dinwar wrote:
Hm....Sounds like a good idea, particularly because there's another thread asking about good weaves to learn that's currently active. It'd be a good place to answer that question.

My question is, do we start with "Materials: wire, mandrel, cutters" or "Materials, 500 rings Xcm wire Ycm inner diameter, pliers"?

The beginners beginning....

1) The place to start with me is "eye candy" a picture of a completed bracelet. Perhaps a womans version and a mans.

2) A list of supplies. Specific supplies for rings. The ar's and everything are easier to comprehend after you've completed a piece.

3) A list of tools required.

4) The weave instructions (the good picture ones from this site)

5) How to complete the piece, findings etc., and how to do it pictures.

6) And voila, we will have another newbie hooked on this beautiful art.

Then the next tutorial could be on making the very rings they just used.

After that, I'm not there yet. I have completed two pieces. At present I am stuck on where to get mandrels or what to use a mandrels. Then I want to make something based on the AR weave guide, so I can get the right wire, and wind it on the right mandrel and cut it properly. This is where I am at right now.

Posted on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:55 pm

MusicMan wrote:
If you are looking for beginning /intermediate information some of us started a "beginning book" of sorts. There are tutes and everything, stop on over and check it out if you would like. Look on the left under "Rough Draft" here is a link to the Table of Contents page.

http://chainsmith.wetpaint.com/page/Table+of+Contents

This sounds like a great text book. A lot of work.

This is something I would be interested in for sure. I do feel that it is too overwhelming for someone that's just curious. Trying to see things threw a beginners eye is hard when you already know and love the art. A beginners guide that is super simple, just a piece, supplies, tools, weave instruction, finishing instructions is all a newbie can sometimes handle. But the right beginners piece with the right shiny rings will inspire anyone to go to the next level. And for me that would be your text book!

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 6. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6