Where to start?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Where to start?
Posted on Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:38 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi Guys,

I am completely new to this and I am hoping someone can give me an idea on where to start?

Any help would be great Smile

Ta very much
Chelly

Submissions: 4

Posted on Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:48 am

Here are our Beginners articles. Read through those first and let us know if you have any questions after that.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:50 pm

Hey, congratulations on joining the community! Hopefully you'll become as addicted to mailling as the rest of us.

I would start with the European family of weaves first, as these are probably the most common amongst maillers. As one of the beginner articles suggested, I would also start with European 4-in-1 (E 4-1). From there, branch out! There are many quality sites that have instructions on making maille, and two of the best are Derakon's Library at http://theringlord.org/derakoninstructions/index.html and Phong's www.cgmaille.com. And of course, this site's knowledge archive is the most extensive I've ever seen.

BTW, just how completely new to this are you? (as far as tools and stuff)

If at first you don't succeed, try a different aspect ratio.

Submissions: 0

New to Maille myself
Posted on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:59 am

Hello,

What portion of maille are you interested in? Armor? Jewelry? combining it with other methods of jewelry making? etc.

Depending on which one you specify you'll find different directions that you want to go in and different recommendations on materials and tools.

If armor's what you're looking at you'll be looking at 14-16 gauge wire and starting with e 4in1. Than moving up to e6in1, contracting and expanding e4in1, seaming e4in1, and other sheet weaves.

If jewelry's where you're aiming at you'll still likely start with e4in1, but with a smaller gauge of wire, 18 or 20 to start. From e4in1 I'd suggest moving to box weave, byzantine and maybe an interesting sheet weave like dragonscale, elf weave, kings weave, etc.

If you're looking at buying rings already pre-made, theringlord.com is one of the cheapest resources, but as shipping starts around 15$ to the states, you'll likely want to decide on a few projects to order supplies for. (This is also one of the cheapest vendors of quality wire)

Making rings is by far the cheapest, but most time consuming method of obtaining rings. There are many tutorials in the articles with information on how to make mandrels, coil wire and cut wire.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:04 am

this would be a great time to tell you about our newbie page.. unfortunately, every time i go looking for it (knowing we have one) i can't find it.

all i can do is wish you the best of luck and happy mailling!
Cutters Needlenose Pliers Needlenose Pliers

http://people.alfred.edu/~jwo1/maille/mailnoobpage/mail-nubie-Phong-v1d.html#5

i found it in the announcement archive.. it is a little rough as it was designed a couple years ago and hasn't been updated yet, but those 4 articles are good places to start, and the rest of the page is pretty informative.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 134

Posted on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:38 am

try this sruff if you wont you might find something good that you will like. just reameber that you should alwas have plenty of wire on hand and your pliers at hand

http://www.youtube.com/group/mailleartisans Uber

Submissions: 17

Posted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:05 am

i myself started with the European 4 in 1. i tried 8 in 1 shortly after and messed it up, start with simpler weaves like 4 in 1 and after you get the hang of it start on slightly harder weaves such as 6 or 8 in 1. if your wanting to make things like, bracelets still get used to the feel of weaving by starting with a 4 in 1 or a similar weave, and work your way up to doing chains like the Box Weave or Byzantine. have fun mailing! Smile

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:32 am

Welcome and well come -- you've come to the right place. One of two places, at least -- the other biggie being The Ring Lord's Chain Mail Forum.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1